Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while I was over working on my mustang, I decided to snap a million photos of my front end for you guys to look at. (its not my focus at the moment but I want a general idea of what ill need to do when I get there which wont be long.) I already have a new valance. The front end was obviously hit or something I don't know much history of the car (speaking of which, on a side note, if you guys can tell me where i can get a full history report of my car from the day it rolled off the showroom floor, please let me know) I need you experts to tell me several things. I need to know what pieces I'm missing. I need to know what needs to be bent back into place AND how to do it. I need to know what is able to be fixed, and what needs to be replaced. And I need to know what all you guys notice, because I don't know much and am learning, and some of you guys know these cars top to bottom and will see things I don't notice. And I need to be explained things in detail. I tried to get as many angles as I could.

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PICTURES CONTINUED:

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EVEN MORE PICTURES CONTINUED:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Man your fame rails are lookin a bit rough before you put any more time and money ge yourself a hammer and flathead and poke around the frame rails and shock towers

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man your fame rails are lookin a bit rough before you put any more time and money ge yourself a hammer and flathead and poke around the frame rails and shock towers
Shock towers are very solid. Most of the frame from what I've already poked around is also pretty solid. Just looks like absolute ****

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: Israel

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
Great pictures, but of the wrong stuff.

Parking lights are relatively insignificant.

Short version: The biggest issue I see is the "joint" between the headlight bucket and the metal panel between them. There is a lip on the headlight bucket the panel bolts to, and it is hard to see if it is there. Google a picture of a headlight bucket and check for that lip. It is often missing on 67 68 headlight buckets.

Bumper arms: Set of 4 new ones are cheap. the old ones are often rusty, bent, etc and having a new set makes life much easier.

Bumper and front bumperettes, new is the way to go.

Parking lights are composed of three sections: The light with with lens, the body, and the stamped steel retainer (yours are rusted, need replacing). Unplug the light section, test it on the battery to see if it lights, and even if it does, put new bulbs in.

Front lower valance: They are cheap, order 2. Paint them both, put one in the attic, because it will eventually get smooshed and rather than having to pay for a 2nd paint job, just pull out the save one.
Fenders: Straighten the steel tabs where the valance bolts in.

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great pictures, but of the wrong stuff.

Parking lights are relatively insignificant.

Short version: The biggest issue I see is the "joint" between the headlight bucket and the metal panel between them. There is a lip on the headlight bucket the panel bolts to, and it is hard to see if it is there. Google a picture of a headlight bucket and check for that lip. It is often missing on 67 68 headlight buckets.

Bumper arms: Set of 4 new ones are cheap. the old ones are often rusty, bent, etc and having a new set makes life much easier.

Bumper and front bumperettes, new is the way to go.

Parking lights are composed of three sections: The light with with lens, the body, and the stamped steel retainer (yours are rusted, need replacing). Unplug the light section, test it on the battery to see if it lights, and even if it does, put new bulbs in.

Front lower valance: They are cheap, order 2. Paint them both, put one in the attic, because it will eventually get smooshed and rather than having to pay for a 2nd paint job, just pull out the save one.
Fenders: Straighten the steel tabs where the valance bolts in.
ok first, is this the lip you are talking about?

second, im probably going to hold off on the bumper and bumperettes. unless i can find some crappy ones for cheap that I can put on as a place holder.
third, the parking lights work and all that, most the electronics and lights work on the car. And from those 3 pieces mentioned, did it look like I have all 3 on both sides?
forth, I bought an orignal valance from a local mustang club for 20$, its cherry red so i'm going to sand it and put primer on it.
ALSO, I'm not looking to get things completely re-done at the moment, i just want to get the valance on so it doesnt look like the car is missing its lower jaw. My main focus is to get everything i want to do performance wise done. Then focus on making her look pretty and fixing up the body and doing re-doing what needs to be re-done

EDIT: I'm re-reading it and it seems like I'm giving attitude, not the intent of the reply. I was just labeling things "first, second, third, ect" to go with the points you made in the same order you made them

·
Premium Member
6,288 Posts
Beer and pizza can lure people over to help!
@Zackary you may be too young to buy beer, buy you're wise beyond your years to ask for advice here and at your local Mustang Club. That $20 valance is a good score. I love the advice @Mustangerbob1 gave about getting a second one and putting it aside when you do finally paint the car. I believe I'll do that myself.
I was also much younger when I started working on my Mustang and when I started getting ready for body and paint after an accident. One thing I learned quickly was rusty nuts, bolts and other fasteners take a lot of the fun out of it. I would get new stuff to put it all together with, stainless for anything that is hidden if you can find and afford it, and the advice for new bumper brackets is also great.
It looks like you'll benefit greatly from a new stone guard, that transitions from the underside of the grille surround and headlight buckets to the top edge of the valance, and the bumper covers the area where they meet. Google images and zoom in on in-progress and complete cars, or perhaps invest in a reproduction copy of the Ford Body Assembly Manual for your car.
I saw some 67 bumpers and all kinds of other stuff listed in the Huntsville, Birmingham, and Atlanta area Craigslist this weekend.
Good luck, young man!

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Zackary you may be too young to buy beer, buy you're wise beyond your years to ask for advice here and at your local Mustang Club. That $20 valance is a good score. I love the advice @Mustangerbob1 gave about getting a second one and putting it aside when you do finally paint the car. I believe I'll do that myself.
I was also much younger when I started working on my Mustang and when I started getting ready for body and paint after an accident. One thing I learned quickly was rusty nuts, bolts and other fasteners take a lot of the fun out of it. I would get new stuff to put it all together with, stainless for anything that is hidden if you can find and afford it, and the advice for new bumper brackets is also great.
It looks like you'll benefit greatly from a new stone guard, that transitions from the underside of the grille surround and headlight buckets to the top edge of the valance, and the bumper covers the area where they meet. Google images and zoom in on in-progress and complete cars, or perhaps invest in a reproduction copy of the Ford Body Assembly Manual for your car.
I saw some 67 bumpers and all kinds of other stuff listed in the Huntsville, Birmingham, and Atlanta area Craigslist this weekend.
Good luck, young man!
I plan to replace the entire front end in the future (also add the fog lights because they look sexy as hell) I just want to get the valance on and make it look a bit more presentable. ALSO, this is kinda intimidating to be honest. I have no knowledge what so ever, and a car that needs just about everything. I'm definitely learning stuff as I go, but I feel like I'm not learning enough or fast enough

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I plan to replace the entire front end in the future (also add the fog lights because they look sexy as hell) I just want to get the valance on and make it look a bit more presentable
Good luck, young man!
also i couldnt find the bumpers on craigslist (craigslist is my nightmare, no idea how to use it correctly) could you give me links?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
We have a large group of VMF members in AL, so help should be Relatively nearby. Go to car shows or look at local car club members cars to see what the parts should look like when assembled. I agree with what was said above. Replace the stone guard and 4 number mounting brackets. Used new clean hardware. NPD is you new best friend. Order your pars from them and spend Time browsing the catalog they send. You can a lot just looking through it. If you don’t have a real Ford Shop Manual, that should be your first purchase.
swap meets are good place to look for used parts. Most people who have restored a car have boxes of take off parts too that will get you driving until you have time or money for improvements.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
515 Posts
Which photo do you see the frame rail in...I can't see it.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe 302 T5
57 Posts
Just my two cents but I would put some of the "performance" stuff on the back burner until you know you are dealing with a good body. Dropping a ton of money on parts that might sit for a decade because you don't want to tackle body issues is really common. You might never see how they work if you do it that way. Get it rolling first and replace what's broken. Then you can start to figure out where money should be spent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts