Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If I understand correctly the inboard lights were GT500 specific and not even all of them were inboard?

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
If I understand correctly the inboard lights were GT500 specific and not even all of them were inboard?
I'll shoot from memory of what I've read on the subject and someone else is sure to correct me if I don't get the gist of this correct. For 1967, someone (I forget who, but not Peter Brock) at Shelby American thought it would be nifty-swifty to put Hi beams together in the center of the grille. The idea was to further distance the Shelby mustangs from the Ford mustangs with more distinctive looks. So, in addition to all the other outside physical changes made for the '67 GT's, they did the center mount lights too. I believe a couple of hundred GT350 and GT500 models were produced that way before the crap hit the fan, that being in the form of a state of California notification that they were in violation with that light placement scheme (and another issue too). No one at SA had bothered to find out if there were light separation requirements before production began and California threatened all kinds of dire consequences for both SA and Ford (They considered Shelby an extension of FoMoCo). So, the center lights went outboard for all further GT's. Shelby sent the remaining center light cars out to other states that weren't so fussy. In my own personal opinion the idea was lousy to begin with. Why impede the direct flow of air to the radiator? I want a shrug emoji, and I want it now!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I can see the logic in trying to make the onboard lights more distinct than the lowly GT. :LOL:

What doesn’t make sense is the California nonsense.

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
I can see the logic in trying to make the onboard lights more distinct than the lowly GT. :LOL:

What doesn’t make sense is the California nonsense.
California alone dictates what so many automakers produce it isn't even funny. Some makers would build two versions of cars, those that met Cal specs and those that didn't for sale elsewhere. Most manufacturers just build everything to Cal specs these days, but I know as recently as the late 90's (at least) Subaru was still making the two different versions. I ran into that a few times in the biz, Cal emissions spec cars that had dealer invoices higher than others and yet the MSRP as equipped was the same for both versions. When the mustang came along California represented the single largest market demand for them by far, an incredibly high percentage seemingly out of all proportion to the rest of the US combined.

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
I meant more about why they cared where the lights were.
I'm just writing crap here tonight because, the fact is, I'm in the middle of installing a factory style brake light switch on the pedal arm under my dash and I'm taking every opportunity to find excuses to delay crawling back under there. The new sumbitch doesn't want to go on. :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm just writing crap here tonight because, the fact is, I'm in the middle of installing a factory style brake light switch on the pedal arm under my dash and I'm taking every opportunity to find excuses to delay crawling back under there. The new sumbitch doesn't want to go on. :(
I'm here to support your procrastination. I've been under enough dashes to feel your pain.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts