Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an issue with my shifter. The previous owner cut away a small portion of the floor at the shifter plate location. The shifter handle interfers with the floor and doesn't shift into reverse and 2nd as it should. I think the shifter is correct as well as the handle, but the handle would hit the area that was cut away, if it was still there. I looked into whether the crossmember mount was correct and it looks to be. Any ideas? When I install the shifter plate over the carpet and screw it down, the shifter handle will not allo wthe car to go into reverse or 2nd gear. Thanks

·
Registered
893 Posts
well sounds like there was a reason why the PO cut a hole in the tunnel...

have you looked at the trans to make sure its the correct trans?

may not be and when the shifter was bolted on it did not line up right...

other folks can offer ideas also but thats a start..

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Start with the trans. Lets assume you have the correct RUG S large input, do you have the correct shifter mounting plate? The large spline trans has a longer tailshaft that requires the use of the adapter. Shifter is basically the same between big block and small block except reverse leg which is offset to clear that plate

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/tlea/DSCN2486.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. The trans is original and still carries the vin on the tab on the underside. I have the shifter bolted directly to the trans, I don't see an adapter anywhere. Perhaps this is my issue. The tunnel was cut about 1/2 deep by 2 1/2 across, whick now allows the shifter handle to fit up into the tunnel. Once I have the shifter plate installed, the shifter handle hits the plate and is not able to pull the handle down and into either of the lower gears. It almost feels like I should have something that allows the shifter to position itself more in the middle of the tunnel opening. Thanks again for your help. Tim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved, it was the adapter plate, or lack of an adapter plate, I should say. Thanks again for your help. Tim

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Mark @ toploader heaven has originals as well as repro ones. Does your shifter have the correct reverse leg? If not I think he has those as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts