Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Like you, I've been utilizing the lockdown fun to track down some of the remaining finicky things on my car. A major one has been water leaking in and soaking the carpet for the back seats. I'm 90% sure it's leaking in from the quarter windows, going down the inside of that, and pooling in the foot well. I've rust proofed and painted the floor area but whenever it rains, it SOAKS that area. Am I missing a seal or is there weatherstrip that was install incorrectly? If I had to guess, I'd think it's the corner at the bottom of the drip rail/C pillar that it's sneaking in from.

Here are a couple pics of what I'm talking about. If you turn your brightness up you can see that corner has giant gap. Second picture is just evidence of standing water with the back seats removed. It's doing the exact same thing on both sides. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
There should be a drain hole in the bottom of the quarter that allows water to exit, and the quarter should be covered by a water shield that is brown paper on one side and black waxed on the other, sealed against the body with a flexible sealant like 3M Bedding and Glazing Compound that keeps any intruding water within that quarter frame. And is it just me or are you missing the roof rail weatherstrip back there? Hard to tell in pic.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be a drain hole in the bottom of the quarter that allows water to exit, and the quarter should be covered by a water shield that is brown paper on one side and black waxed on the other, sealed against the body with a flexible sealant like 3M Bedding and Glazing Compound that keeps any intruding water within that quarter frame. And is it just me or are you missing the roof rail weatherstrip back there? Hard to tell in pic.
You think the missing tar paper is the culprit then? I guess it would make sense side to side. Is it expected that water just pours in there when it rains though?

I have the roof rail weather stripping.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
The belt line weatherstrip keeps out some water and debris but it isn't waterproof by any means. Washing the car or being in a hard rain, maybe even being driven in a moderate rain (because of the inset design of the vintage Mustang window vs the flush modern design) some water is definitely going to get in. Make sure the quarter drain is unobstructed and definitely add the watershield if it's missing. If you're missing seam sealer in these areas (white arrows), the drain is obstructed, and there's no plastic or tar coated paper barrier here on this panel, it's an invitation for water and RUST.
20200524_164707.jpg

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The belt line weatherstrip keeps out some water and debris but it isn't waterproof by any means. Washing the car or being in a hard rain, maybe even being driven in a moderate rain (because of the inset design of the vintage Mustang window vs the flush modern design) some water is definitely going to get in. Make sure the quarter drain is unobstructed and definitely add the watershield if it's missing. If you're missing seam sealer in these areas (white arrows), the drain is obstructed, and there's no plastic or tar coated paper barrier here on this panel, it's an invitation for water and RUST.
I'll do some digging and double check drain holes and sealer. I live in Los Angeles so it's not like I see torrential downpours. Some water is fine but 1/2" of standing water seems like a crazy amount to sneak in. It's probably the combo of the sealer and paper/plastic unless there's some other variable in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts