Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all your help guys... it has been appreciated... I'm still looking for my 1967 convertible project to buy... I have as some of you know done my research for parts.... and I have charts in my room of how much parts from different places cost.... When I get the mustang I hope to do some work... on it asap.... Here is some more questions and info..

1)I am looking to put a 390 in it.... any tips?
2)My starting price range is about $6000.
3)For that price I'd like to either buy a nice one or fix a project... preferably fix one to my standards.
4)I'm going to put in a tremec transmission... any tips?
5)I am not concerned about original parts as much as "stock looking", to a point.
6)I'm looking at one at collectorcartraderonline.com and it is for 2000. It has rust on torque boxes and in other areas. It comes with new floor panals and fenders not on it yet. Doors are sagging slightly. Please give me you thoughts. I'm not going to move on that until I hear some outside info.

Thanks much guys, please give me your help... I need it... thanks also to the guys who have previously given me info and places/cars to look at.

Joe

[email protected]

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Can you do cutting and welding at home or would you hire that out? The reason I ask is that the floors, inner rockers and torque boxes are a lot of work, and it you have to hire a shop to do it, it would probably cost several thousand dollars.

Will the Tremec bolt up to the big block?

If you decide to use the original tranny, you'll need to find a big block car with a big block bell housing tranny or get a different tranny. The C4 won't bolt up to the 390 without modification.

I would suggest you look for a 67 or 68 with a 390 already in it. I would also suggest you look out west and spend the money to bring a rust free car home.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/coppertone2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope this helps!

Spend more money to avoid rust, especially if you want a decent car, but aren't interested in spending the money to make a show car (the way I figure it, if you have to replace floorpans, torque boxes, etc., you might as well do it right and replace anything that might be rusted). But make sure you are truly getting a rust-free car. As many of us know, what appears to be rust a free car from 10 feet (by use of a $500 new paint job and quick but at least temporarily effective body work) often is not.

Interior is pretty cheap, when compared to other needs.

If you don't care about a "numbers matching" car, then you can find an engine-trany combo for a car that lacks a drivetrain but is otherwise in great shape. Can't help you with the tremec question.

If you are starting at $6,000 (but might spend a little more) - you should be able to find a pretty nice driver. If you spend $2,000 on a car that needs lots of rust repair, another $4,000 spent on that car may not get you very far. "sagging doors" is fixable, but not a good sign....

Good luck with your search -- I'm sure you'll look at a lot of junk, a few cars you wish you could afford, but you'll finally find one thats right for you. We all have been there....

1967 Fastback, 289, C-code, AT, PS,
dark moss green, parchment interior,
GT rear valance and tips

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Replacing the floor pans in a convertible requires some thoughtful bracing and supporting of the car to ensure that it is straight when the new floor pans work in after the car is placed back on the ground and driven for a couple of months. Get expert advice before you try this part of the project or you'll end up with the top part of the doors hitting the rear quarters. IIRC, you'll want the top part of the gap between the doors and the quarters to be about 3/8" larger at the top than at the bottom. When the pans flex into permanent shape, the gap will become even.

Our Ponies
http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/Mach1painted.jpg http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/65vert.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys again.... does anyone know a place I should be watching for cars? Does anyone know where a 1967 convertible without an engine or transmission is? Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts