Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to freshen up the interior in my convertible. New upholstery (TMI) including quarter trim. I also plan to replace the dash cluster. I don't want anything custom, but I want the best fit possible and for all pieces to match in the black camera case finish. maybe that's asking tooo much. I see several different options. Someshow rerpo and some by Scott Drake. Can anyone give me some recommendations on getting the right parts? Also planning to replace carpet.
I assume it's best to go mass backed, but I see light blue and ford blue. not sure if they are the same. Lastly, the dash trim that includes the heater section...do I buy a reproduction (they offer two different ones) or will I be able to find paint to match the camera case black? I just want to make sure I get this right.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Camera case was done two different ways. Textured metal with flat black paint, or vinyl stickers depending on the piece. I have had good luck on most Scott Drake dash parts, but not all. Since many companies don’t list the part manufacturer, they could be Scott Drake or another company. Best to call NPD and ask which parts they recommend, or even better if you are near enough to drive to an NPD location, stop by and look at the parts.

I am not sure what you mean by the “dash trim that includes the heater”. I am guessing you have a factory A/C car and you mean the center vents. If so, those are chrome with two vinyl stickers on either end for the camera case. In my experience a good quality flat black paint matches well.

For Carpet I have always use ACC. It looks good, but I have found it to fade faster than original. I have used mass backed once and found it very difficult to cut and fit, but it holds shape much better and does provide sound dampening.

·
Vendor
4,067 Posts
I've never heard of any "ill-fitting" dash trim for 1967. No matter what you buy, it should all fit up nice.

Our repro standard 1967 bezel is manufactured by Golden Legion, and it is a nice piece. The remainder of the dash trim (center, upper RH and lower RH) is provided by Scott Drake. It all matches great, I would go so far as to say "perfect".

Considering the center trim is only $12 bucks (individually, which is how we sell our dash trim), there's no need to screw around re-using your original, unless the chrome on your original is still bright and perfect (which would be a rarity). But it's still wise to have at least one can of the proper paint for touch-ups, which would be black satin, our #'s AP-946 (lacquer) or VP-946 (SEM).

Carpet, it's important to pay a bit of extra premium for the Raylon. Do not buy Nylon. The Raylon is better quality and more original appearing. You do NOT want "light blue", you should go for Ford Blue. We keep it in-stock in both mass-backed and regular/standard.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, this is helpful. I was referring to the panel with the heater controls. Sounds like I can find paint to match the other pieces. Maybe my existing dash panels are from a different supplier, but the sure don't line up well at all. I may even drive over to the NPD store near Canton so I can actually look at the different pieces when I want to purchase everything. Do you think it's worth going with mass backed carpet, or will it be a lot more difficult to install. Do you need sound deadner if you have mass backed carpet?

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I found my dash panel doesn’t line up well with the center piece at all.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Unless you're doing a concours restoration, most of the available parts will fit and match. Again, not "perfectly", but a match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts