Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Sayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy newbie, why not post the vin number so we can all know about a rebadged k code fastback down the line. This is why it is so important when you get into specialty car money to check ALL the stamped date codes on these cars to see if things match up to the build date of the vin... this type of b.s. has become more prevalent as these types of hulks are found and cannibalized. A shame knowing that the real car could probably have been restored by a competent enthusiast vs this kind of shenanigan. No, I'm not interested, but, I am interested in where the rest of the car is.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Yeah- this has bad written all over it. So tell us a little about yourself- and location. Heck I wanna see pics too- If you are legit- you could see why we are all very concerned and would likely want to be aware of the VIN- and what is gonna happen with your parts. Our hobby needs NO more fakes and duplicate cars- We do want to see more cars saved- but this is prime for a fake shelby. Show yourself- so we may know your intent here- we welcome you as a new member so "welcome"- we are friendly- but...........we don't do scammer. So forgive me for being rude or abrupt- but help us believe you are geniunely "saving " good parts

·
Registered
33,587 Posts
Simply offering those parts is not a crime. In many places rebodying a car is not illegal as long as it is disclosed.
a. The act of selling a detached VIN, along with the matching Certificate of Title COULD be construed as Conspiracy to commit fraud and both buyer and seller could face prosecution. In fact, removing the legal VIN from a vehicle IS a Federal crime under Title 18...

Section 511(a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part. Section 511(b) of Title 18 creates exceptions for certain persons who engage in lawful conduct that may result in removal or alteration of an identification number.

b. If the subsequent transaction involved the Internet, Postal Service or a package delivery service (UPS/FedEx etc.) it could also be considered mail fraud.

There is no other reason to sell component parts containing the VIN as well as the matching Certificate of Title. If the vehicle was scrapped, the Title should have been surrendered to that State's DMV/Registry/Bureau, etc., and if the vehicle is subsequently re-registered it would be with a branded Title, usually "Salvage".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts