Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original Introduction Post is here if you want some more background on this car and a bit about me.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/new-member-introductions/1163104-traded-67-convertible.html

My best guess as to how I ended up with this car is the person I bought it from told me he got it on eBay. I suspect when we got it he saw that the eBay seller had lied about the condition. The fresh paint was to hide the rest of the dubious bodywork.

It looks like someone tried to get the car running, there's a rubber fuel line from the tank to the engine bay. I have no idea if they were successful. I may or may not try to start the car. The six will get disposed of and I'm not even sure if I care if I get any money for it.

Here's a video I shot when I first saw the car. Notice that I didn't look underneath, probably because I didn't want to know what I would find.

Currently the car is stashed at my cousin's near by, and I have to get my garage reorganized and I should have the Mustang at my place after Labor Day. Then I can take a look and really see how much will need to be replaced. Floorboards and trunk extensions at the least. Torque boxes for sure. Not sure about the rocker panels. I reckon the cowl has to be gone too.

Yes the quarter panels are wrong.

The care has an Ohio title so we know it's seen some horrible conditions. Horrible.

More in a week or so.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Looks like a good project....!

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of either a two post lift or a rotisserie as I knew I had a lot of work on the underside of this car. As you know rotisserie’s aren’t cheap. Even to make a decent one will set you back several hundred plus time. I just happened to be looking around on Sunday and found this one. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/81241/10002/-1 Except there was some crazy sale price so instead of $1200 it was $420. They either were dumping the remaining stock or someone made an error. I posted it on one of the Facebook groups. A couple people jumped on it, as did I. One guy said he was going to wait and call Jegs in the morning. Well, as you can imagine he was SOL. Mine is on a truck headed this way, another guy already got his. So now I’m going have to put it on the rotisserie! To top it off Jegs had an additional $25 off coupon so the final price was $395 plus shipping (truck). So the good news is that I’ll be able to easily access the bottom of the car... the bad news is that I’ll be spending a lot of time looking at the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot this was getting delivered today. I was actually out riding my Guzzi when it showed up. Luckily the wife was home.

A little beat up. I wasn't worried about anything happening to 350lbs of steel.

Didn't take much convincing for the box to fall apart. We have a dumpster outside the house right now trying to clear enough room for the Mustang. Actually both Mustangs.

No instructions, just a parts list and drawing. I guess they expect that if you can't put this thing together with no instruction you have no business strapping a car onto the rotisserie.

I knew I couldn't move the crate around so I thought assembling the rotisserie would make it easier. If I had less room before now I don't have any room. I'm going to have to get creative.

I was hoping to have the garage sorted and cleaned and get the Mustang home by the weekend. We'll see if that still happens.

I'm eager to get it home so I can do a much more in depth assessment of just how extensive the rust is. And maybe to see if I can get the six running.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Garage is still not sorted so car hasn't come home yet. A week long work trip didn't help.

Met the owner of a lovely red/red 67 convertible at a local car show. Now I have a contact if I need to see how a 67 is assembled in person.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Luckily my cousin said he needed the car out of his garage. That forced me to see how to fit it into my garage.

First steps, retrieval.

Next step, get the biggest shoehorn you can find. Slot car into only available spot.

Last step, pack everything in. So it's four bikes, the rotisserie (apart and under the Mustang), the 67 and my wife's car (2019 GT). The only thing I couldn't find a spot for easily was my saw.

I'm going to sell one of the motorcycles so that will free up a little room. I also have more overhead racks (one will be dedicated to Mustang parts) to install.

The suspension isn't worth saving so I'm just going to start replacing the four lug stuff, probably starting with the front.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Nothing a piece of sheetmetal and pop rivets can't hide.

Some of the sheet metal under the front inner fender area just looks too good. I suspect it was so bad they had to replace it.

And some of they didn't. Too much work to replace that part.

The forensics continue...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts