Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow mustang owners,

I have a 1967 Mustang Convertible and I am preparing to do a full restore. The windshield is pretty scratched and foggy in some places so it will need to be replaced. The windshield trim is in great shape and I plan on polishing them after removal. my question is how to remove them? I know they are held in with clips but I am afraid I will dent or damage the metal if I pry too hard. I got some plastic trim removal tools from Harbor Freight. I just want to know other folks experience so I do not damage the metal. Is there a technique or trick to remove without damage? I am even more worried when I need to put them back on. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank Kevin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello fellow mustang owners,

I have a 1967 Mustang Convertible and I am preparing to do a full restore. The windshield is pretty scratched and foggy in some places so it will need to be replaced. The windshield trim is in great shape and I plan on polishing them after removal. my question is how to remove them? I know they are held in with clips but I am afraid I will dent or damage the metal if I pry too hard. I got some plastic trim removal tools from Harbor Freight. I just want to know other folks experience so I do not damage the metal. Is there a technique or trick to remove without damage? I am even more worried when I need to put them back on. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank Kevin
I just did this on my '65 Coupe. I believe the '67 would be the same. The best thing to do is check You Tube for videos. There's a couple good how-to videos on this, as it's not easy or intuitive. The plastic trim removal tools won't work. You'll need a special metal "hook" shaped tool to get under the moldings and release them from the clips. These tools can be bought from Mustang restoration places, and may still be available at Auto Parts stores (used to be... but not many cars need them any more...).

If your windshield has been sealed up with the butyl/urethane stuff (as mine was, and I believe was the factory installation procedure), than this is a really messy job. Have a can of mineral spirits and paper towels ready to clean it.

I haven't put mine back in yet, but I expect reinstalling the moldings to be easier than removing them.

·
Registered
36,567 Posts
Convertible trim is very different. It does use the same clips as hardtops around the glass, but it wraps around the A pillar and is held there by the weatherstrip retainer. You must remove that before popping the side trim off. The two top pieces are bolted on, and can be removed after taking the inside trim piece off. The piece at the bottom of the glass is the only one that's the same as the hardtop.

·
Registered
36,567 Posts
Don't panic if some of the clips come off the convertible mouldings. If you are careful, they can be reinstalled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts