Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible - 200 Six - 3 Speed Manual Transmission
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lower hinge on my 1967 Mustangs drivers door is shot. The door will open and close but rubs at the bottom. Time to replace or rebuild. I looked at the NPD catalog and it looks like I may have 1966 hinges? Can anyone advise on the best way to get the hinge either rebuilt or replaced? Can it be rebuilt? I plan to do it myself. I have included a pic of the broken hinge and a photo of the passenger side hinge that is working properly. Thanks for any tips!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
You have the early type 67 hinge which resembles the 66 but is not the same. You are in luck, as there is a rebuild kit for you. Same kit for 65 to 67. You will need one kit per side.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I had exactly the same issue recently. Same hinge, 67 coupe also. Looks like you have an early 67 also. I personally replaced it with a reproduction while I have plans to restore the original later. I don't have the right equipment currently to get the roller pin out with it sheered clean off like yours. The replacement is nice and functional, but it's not original. That's just me. If you do rebuild it, replace the pins too. that will make it like new. The rebuild kit will have everything you need. Except an air chisel with a punch bit. Gotta have that to get the pin out. Not sure how to get a sheered off roller pin out without a welder/vise/drilling.

I wrote up my project here: https://bapony.com/2019/03/02/replacement-door-hinge/

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Nice write up! Funny because I was just looking at the hinge bolts going in to the body of the car and thinking to myself "man those look tight, I hope I can get them out with the fender on" Can they be removed with the fender on? If so, is there a certain ratchet required? I would rather buy one than remove the fender. I have had them off before and prefer not to do it again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm looking at the NPD catalog and they have the repro 1966 hinges ($38.00). Are they the same as mine? It is stated above that they are not? Is the bolt hole different or something? I'm tempted to go that route. Looks hard enough to get the hinge off.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Nice write up! Funny because I was just looking at the hinge bolts going in to the body of the car and thinking to myself "man those look tight, I hope I can get them out with the fender on" Can they be removed with the fender on? If so, is there a certain ratchet required? I would rather buy one than remove the fender. I have had them off before and prefer not to do it again.
I used a closed end ratcheting wrench to take the bolts off. If you rebuild the hinge, you can use that to get them back on too. If you use a new hinge, its stamped steel with a lip that prevents the use of the closed end wrench. That means the fender is in the way from using a socket and seeing what you're doing. Also, I would buy the 67 specific replacements. Many things about 67 are similar to the 66, but that doesn't mean they are the same. Best to be safe and buy the 67 parts. You wont find reproduction hinges like the old cast iron though. Either rebuild yours, or find originals and rebuild and swap them in. I suggest rebuilding them all at the same time. Driver side will be the worst though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts