Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im kicking myself, this ends in an hour and i have enough money for it but i still would need to pay my own insurance and gas which i cant do!!! heres the link:
ebay

·
Registered
948 Posts
How were you going to get it from IL to El Cajon? It states local pickup only?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Your better off finding a good solid car here in Calif. There are still some around for a fair price, it takes time and patience. I'd be very careful with rust issues on that E-bay car. It would need a close inspection. As Virginia Beach would not be kind to Vintage Mustangs depending on how much time it spent there.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how does everyone feel about buying a car on ebay? i do have the luxury of flying though. my mom works for the airlines so i can fly anywhere alaska airlines flys for free! so i could fly somewhere inspect it and drive it home.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
beware 4 lug wheels hiding behind those beautiful rims. - T Code.
I put the same rims on my sisters 6cyl cpe when we were kids :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there any other codes to stay away from? im looking for a V8.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Close to me also...Darn It already ended :(

·
Registered
846 Posts
I just bought a truck off ebay, and am very pleased. I also bought my Mach off of ebay, am pleased with it as well. I think the best thing to do if your buying from ebay, is to find someone(VMFers are great for this, I used one)to go look at the vehicle, and get you'll get an honest opinion, and most important, you won't get scammed!

·
Registered
269 Posts
The major problem with e-bay is that its hard to tell what you will get until the bidding is over.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats the thing im concerned about. i like the help of getting help from a vmfer, thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
I bought my 72 mach 1 off e-bay last January from a Canadian airforce guy on Vancouver Island in British Columbia and have been very happy with it.

I contacted the seller and told him I was interested in the car and asked him to describe it. He knew the car intimately and was able to give a detailed list of what had been done and what it needed. I then asked him to take it to the local Ford dealer for a body inspection (I didn't know anyone around there I could trust). The report said only minor rust issues and needed weatherstripping which I already knew about. It cost me $100.00 to have it looked at. The seller also sent me a ton of pics along with a list of work that he had done. I sent him my depsoit after I won the bidding but delivered the remainder in person when i picked up the car. I let him know before I came up that I would not pay the rest if it wsn't as described. He was very understanding.

You won't get taken if if you can establish good communication with the seller and he is willing to do what you need him to do so you can build some trust. Bottom line is if you have any doubts about the guy, walk away.

Steve

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats great info thanks

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
I'm betting that this is the one that has the Marti report, that says it is a GTA, but it also has a "C" coded vin. Now, in 67 I think that might have been possible, I can't keep it straight about that and 67's. And THAT car was reported to be from California. The owner posted last Tuesday on the Chicago VMF that he had to sell it as he was getting stationed out of the country. He wanted it to go to a good home.
OK, the NEXT DAY, the owner put it on the Autotrader. And the day after that it's on Ebay. WTF?? Is it "good home," or, "any home".

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ive bought two cars off the internet. One being my Mach1 and the other was a Honda Accord off of ebay. There are national companies that will do inspections for you and send you a complete report along with tons of pictures. If you couldnt have a VMF'er look at it for you, id certainly go with one of these companies (some even specialize in classics). The report i got showed me every little detail about my Mach1 all the way down to the paint burn so knew exactly what i was getting before i bid. Total cost was about $150. I'd highly recommend doing that. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts