Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1967 Mustang GTA coupe A code 289

597 Views 20 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  myfirstcar66
I was hoping that I could get some input. With the exception of the power steering pump colour does anything look wrong? It does have the 4100 Autolite carburetor with the heat riser and heat tubes for the choke. It was built in San Jose on March 2, 1967. Any input is appreciated.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Car
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,315 Posts
Shouldn’t it be a steel line (from carb to distributor)? With the matching vacuum actuator. To be correct that is. To get it to work a rubber hose will work fine of course.

I know that a dark Ford blue exist but was it used in 1967?

· Registered
6,446 Posts
Depending how correct you want engine bay area done, one often overlooked thing is the "body color" paint edge on fender apron at firewall.
The body color should be even with firewall, as I understood Ford masked a straight line across when painting. I've bought a few unrestored junks and been to Carlise Ford Nationals and have seen this was the way stangs were painted.
Attached a couple pics of my 67 GT 390 after I restored it to best show apron paint line.

Attachments

· Registered
567 Posts
As mentioned, the blue is too dark on the engine. Ive messed that up in the past, and I’m just living with it on my ‘69 as it’s too much work to haul the engine back out.

On this link, you’re looking for “Old Ford Blue”. Duplicolor engine paints (click on the colors tab)

Everything looks so nice in your engine bay…so I wouldn’t change from the way it is now (paint-wise). I love 67s!

· Registered
10,873 Posts
Needs a black Autolite or Motorcraft distributor cap, correct Wittek tower style hose clamps, hide the Pertronix wires with a sleeve of black shrink tubing or switch to points and single distributor primary lead wire, needs FoMoCo or equivalent bakelite solenoid switch and concours battery cables, and I believe the original shocks were black. That's just what stands out to me, but it's a really nice engine bay. Jeff Speegle is the authority on this stuff I think.

Reactions: M.Bessler

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Wow, that looks nice. The I think the gray distributor cap and the belts are the most obvious. But it looks great. And I'm not sure if the oil filler cap is supposed to be silver, or black. Most of the ones I've seen are painted black....not sure if black is correct though.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that looks nice. The I think the gray distributor cap and the belts are the most obvious. But it looks great. And I'm not sure if the oil filler cap is supposed to be silver, or black. Most of the ones I've seen are painted black....not sure if black is correct though.
Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it and make those changes. It’s always good to have a second set of eyes.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depending how correct you want engine bay area done, one often overlooked thing is the "body color" paint edge on fender apron at firewall.
The body color should be even with firewall, as I understood Ford masked a straight line across when painting. I've bought a few unrestored junks and been to Carlise Ford Nationals and have seen this was the way stangs were painted.
Attached a couple pics of my 67 GT 390 after I restored it to best show apron paint line.
I did not know that. Thank you for your input.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your input, I’ll take your advice and make those changes.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As mentioned, the blue is too dark on the engine. Ive messed that up in the past, and I’m just living with it on my ‘69 as it’s too much work to haul the engine back out.

On this link, you’re looking for “Old Ford Blue”. Duplicolor engine paints (click on the colors tab)

Everything looks so nice in your engine bay…so I wouldn’t change from the way it is now (paint-wise). I love 67s!
Thanks Bryan

· Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Shouldn’t it be a steel line (from carb to distributor)? With the matching vacuum actuator. To be correct that is. To get it to work a rubber hose will work fine of course.

I know that a dark Ford blue exist but was it used in 1967?
67 had a rubber hose.

· Registered
10,873 Posts
Is there a library source of images of extremely well done engine bays out there the rest of us can use as reference?
ConcoursMustang.com, and Google images is your friend if you don't find it on VMF.

· Registered
89 Posts
PLEASE don't use pictures of restored cars as your guide. Especially since they often don't come with when and where the car was built for you to compare your cars details to. No telling what level/standard the was was built to, when it was restored and what financial or access limits the owner or builder faced. Looks towards multiple examples built as the same plant and time as your car and equipped the same or very very similar to your car . Lots of examples of cars being originally built at one plant being restored to look like a car from another plant and also release that some orgnaizations allow a free pass for cars not restored as they were originally built with no deductions in Concours classes and for awards.

Very hard to go back and correct many of these details after the car is together.

So please don't blindly assume that someone else did their homework correctly and rely blindly on them. There are no easy buttons unless you just want to build a catalog car and take home a trophy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts