Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 67 mustang gta died last night while cruising, the motor stopped and we coasted to a stop. The car cranked but that's all. Changed the coil, points, condenser and distributor cap and nothing. It's getting fuel.
Would the tilt-swing steering have anything to do the problem? Has anyone ever experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have seen the roll pin that aligns the distributor gear to the distributor shaft shear. The rotor will appear to turn, but the engine is completely out of time. If this is the problem, remove the cap and you maybe able to turn the rotor by hand. Since you say you have fuel, I would check timing and spark.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
I checked the Fomoco service manual. Might be related to the switch for the tilt that sits just inside the dash on the steering column. It is on the right side of the column tube. Seems it is connected to the starting circuit. You might need to jumper the wires to get it started but I don't recommend driving it around like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice, I first thought about the tilt-swing away wheel might be the problem that's why I put that in the question. I don't think that's it now, the engine will turn over, not like the wheel is in the swing away position or the door opened. Got it home now so I'll start the whole process over and see if I missed anything.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Our 67 mustang gta died last night while cruising, the motor stopped and we coasted to a stop. The car cranked but that's all...Would the tilt-swing steering have anything to do the problem?
The tilt column has a switch on it that is part of the starting circuit, in series with the neutral safety switch. If the switch is not made (when the steering wheel is normalized and locked in place) you can't crank the engine over. Once the engine is started, this circuit is irrelevant. Based on your description of the problem, the tilt wheel can be easily ruled out as the root cause.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts