Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1967 hardtop came out the factory with a 200 and I found it with a 289 in it. I have the engine out sitting in my shop and was wondering what I could cram into the engine bay. Can someone give me a list of engines that can be swapped into it. Also can a 390 fit in there?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
What are your plans with the car? For performance vs. price you might consider a 351w (or SB stroker). FEs are wonderful, and fit, and I love mine, but they leave little room and can be a PIA to work on (I know!). Also consider what down-stream upgrades you will need to do to handle the extra torque and power (transmission, rear, brakes, etc).

·
Super Moderator
10,965 Posts
Welcome, you had me at Hardtop!

67’s were made for 460’s, very, very easy and economical 500 hp.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I think I'd go with a built Cadillac 500 cubic inch. Seriously though, going beyond the 289 you'll have to plan on beefing up your front suspension. How do I know? My 67 Cougar got a 390 instead of it's 289 and I had to go to heavier 390 coil springs. Luckily, it had the heavier front suspension than what was put into the I6 chassis.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Consider a SB 347 rather than a BB. You may still want to beef up the suspension and brakes for the power. The BB is nice for going fast in a straight line, but the SB will give you better handling and braking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts