Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all from Croatia ...
Everything started because I watch sitcom Perfect Strangers. I saw mustang and.... 25 years later my dream come true.

I am carmechanic and have some experience in restoration, painting, welding...

Mustang is for full restauration. rust on floors rails undercowl quarter panels....
When i bought it the engine (200cui) was stuck, after wd40 treatmant and some muscle engine turns, after some magic it runs, oil pressue ok, coolant ok, sounds good except little noise from head (probably valve)
Transmision (3 speed( was low on oil, after 1.5 liter it works great but i am not shure for third gear because i did not have breaks to try it.. :)
After test run i started to dismantling it to the bone..

This is project for my soul and i'm taking it easy..2-3y probably

I bought it 7/18 and slowly when i have time, i go to my garage and enjoy in my rust :)
Now is time to put stang on work table...
Just to take of some things like plugs and brackets and grinder is my best friend
plan for this this winter is to "open" all problematic rust places for sandblasting when sun comes...

This car is great because you can buy everything new for small price if stock.. plus shipping of course to Croatia.

I will be full of questions because my experience is on euro cars and not that old :)

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I was working on joining car and temporary wheels..

I never did this before and could not find pic of how the car is holding, then I improvise the gripper :)

And finally in the garage where he will spend some time...

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finaly I started to actualy work something on my car. Some parts of undercowl are missing because of rust and this is my first step... dot welds are not problem but on the side is welded with "that yelow thing". Do I heat it to loose or cut near that spot and leave peace of cowl intact and later weld with co2?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,806 Posts
"that yellow thing" is brass. The process of sticking metal parts together with molten brass is called "brazing" here. You will need to heat the brass until it melts and then use a wire brush to clean it off of the metal. You cannot weld metal that is contaminated with brass. After you have welded in new metal pieces you may want to braze them together like the factory did.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cool thread from Croatia! I remember Perfect Strangers... man, that was a long time ago.
I own a '67 convertible, so your thread got me interested.
Enjoy the project!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rust rust and more rust

Tnx for the advice on brass.. i did not have enough temp with can but i manage somehow..

This is for the first time for me to removing whole panel by drilling welds. you must be patient.
Under that little pins for holding chrome trim , there were 3 welds, and now I dont have solution for them jet how to replace them..
I manage to remove panel not destroying it because I will put it back.
Under panel is gone as I expected..Planing to replace whole panel.

One pic with 225/45/17 from my audi a4 yust to see fow it will fit :)

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not have much time for garage so progres is slow. Still waiting for new sheet metal.. The more I cut , more rust I find... can't wait for sandblasting and putting some new sheet metal...

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
more "cleaning" before sandblasting...
some pic of rocker, frame rail..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,763 Posts
Welcome,....I’ll be following.

You had me at Hardtop! :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First shiney thing for my mustang... keychain with pony :)

Finally some visible progress :)
For someone lots of holes, for me fresh start..
Now real work starts..

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am seeing on forum that people apologise for mess in garage. I dont want to start because there wont be end of repeating myself :)
This few days I have help from my frend and things getting done.. thanx Galić :)
Prepearing for some welding and grinding some new sheet metal ..

DIY bolts for export brace. No cowl no problem :)
My frend helping me with cutting new sheet metal.
DIY press for small sheet metal bending. Work flawles..
Repearing inner wheel house rust damage.
New rear rails in place.
Reaktiv 2k on everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today was very productive day.
cowl is in and welded :)
rear rail and wheel houses painted.
export brace mounted and tower sit in place..
removing front frame rail...

so much to do but i am happy and that's counts :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts