Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have headers on my car and I keep having an issue with rubber grommets on the power steering cylinder coming apart.
It's a big block car with the three point drop bracket for cars with headers. Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I dont have your problem, but I have had alot of problems with the China made rubber grommets, rubber starts to dry out and crack apart with in months of installing. I feel just CHEAP made rubber. But you want find anyone will tell you that.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mentioned headers. Is this a heat issue where the rubber grommets are close to the headers?
No, I don't think it's heat related. It's not that close to the long tubes. The strange thing is it also is the one on the outside of the bracket that is furthest from the heat source. Good suggestion!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've often wondered why no one has modded the drop bracket to hold a spherical bearing......
Yes, that would probably be ideal. It would stop the float and would be absolutely positive in movement. The bracket is the weak link in this equation!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have your problem, but I have had alot of problems with the China made rubber grommets, rubber starts to dry out and crack apart with in months of installing. I feel just CHEAP made rubber. But you want find anyone will tell you that.
Likely a factor in the issue as well. The boot & bushing kits that I have been using are produced by Scott Drake and set came with the new slave that I purchased. I am sending Dan-O AKA Choko my original to restore.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Captain
I installed some HD bushings that reduce the movement when I installed the roller idler. It was some time back. I have stock exhaust and they only have a 1,000 miles or so, so I can't verify they'll last any longer than the ones you've used. If you like, I'll dig through the receipts and find what I have.

·
Registered
41,489 Posts
Thoughts.......

Why not reinforce the frame with a 1/4" plate "L" or "U" brace and mount a spherical bearing in a pillow block to support the fixed end of the ram?

Tire Product Automotive tire Camera lens Lens

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Thoughts.......

Why not reinforce the frame with a 1/4" plate "L" or "U" brace and mount a spherical bearing in a pillow block to support the fixed end of the ram?

View attachment 847288
I took a look at that bearing and I was unable to find detailed information about load rating. Bearings like that (and hemi-joints / rod-ends) are very good at taking a load perpendicular to the bore (up-down and left-right in the photo) but are not generally designed for much load parallel to the bore (in-out in the photo). I wonder if anyone has used such a bearing. I would think that a hemi-joint mounted like an adjustable struct rod might work better.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thoughts.......

View attachment 847288
Won't work for cars with long tube headers. Would be great if they did this in drop bracket style.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have used old shock absorber grommets that were still in decent shape for that before.
Rear shock bushings would likely work. However, not used ones. The ones supplied with the Scott Drake boot kits are very soft.

·
Registered
11,596 Posts
Rear shock bushings would likely work. However, not used ones. The ones supplied with the Scott Drake boot kits are very soft.
I remember those bushings, they seemed to have been made of foam rubber. Promptly threw them away and used some rear shock bushings as suggested.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Font Automotive wheel system

The new pic on the Holley site shows an actual molded bushing, unlike what I remember receiving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have headers on my car and I keep having an issue with rubber grommets on the power steering cylinder coming apart.
It's a big block car with the three point drop bracket for cars with headers. Anyone else had this issue?
I've had a similar problem on my race car. The centers of the bushings bust out. I've replaced them with polyurethane bushings and they do not last long at all. I would like to try the larger bushings used for the front top shock absorber on my 1964 Falcon but no one seems to carry them.

I like the idea of a rod end bearing but the bracket needs to be redesigned to accommodate it.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had a similar problem on my race car. The centers of the bushings bust out. I've replaced them with polyurethane bushings and they do not last long at all. I would like to try the larger bushings used for the front top shock absorber on my 1964 Falcon but no one seems to carry them.

I like the idea of a rod end bearing but the bracket needs to be redesigned to accommodate it.
Nice to see you on the forum, Vic. You were beyond reproach with the sequential conversion on the Shelby.
Timing is perfect and the Plasma Tower LEDs are a great safety adder with distracted idiot drivers. They are very bright!
It seems to destroy the inner bushing. Dan from Choco send me a box of OE style bushings. Hopefully they'll hold up this time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts