Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING: Wall of text.

Restoring a 1967 mustang convertible, last on the road in 1989 it went in for a restoration at a local shop and the shop "closed" and the owner somehow managed to get the car back. it sat outside 21 years and inside another year until now. I have talked them into giving me the car for free :) and well.. heres the specs.. sadly.. it was numbers matching.. 100% factory.
289 2bbl engine,(was locked up.. I took the heads off and it unlocked) C4 trans, green in color with black interrior&top.

I would restore it to numbers matching but it needs a new door.. (theres no fixing the one thats on it without spending the big bucks.)needs front fenders and top and FULL interrior and lots of bodywork.

So the way I see it.. why not give it some modern go and show if it can't be numbers matching anymore.

The build idea..
Engine.
get a forged 302 crank and some rods. (turn the 289 into a 302)
then this>> 400 HP 302 ci AFR 165 cc(Stock Cam)
with forged pistons.. .30 over.
75 - 125 shot of NOS.
Transmission.
Rebuild the C4 with a hardcore shifting shift kit
Add a GearVendors applacation (overdrive for each gear in semi-auto shift form)
and then with the flip of a switch go back to fully automatic with an overdrive.
3.55 or 3.75 rear gears with posi and aluminum driveshaft.

and boom... a very nice street/strip/race build for under 6500$.. (keep in mind it's a "project" and the GearVendors (2500$) and 3.55's with posi ($?) come later.)

I would like to add coilovers when I have the car apart replacing the front frame rails and such but for 2.4k on just that? all I see all the other fun stuff flying out the window already. Those can come later.

front disc brakes are a 100% go as it needs a new brake system anyway. (rear discs come later)

Interrior will have procar rally seats and a bushed aluminum dash with aftermarket guages nicely placed in the stock assembly.

As for the current progress on the car the engine is out. transmission is hanging there via chain and rear mount. interrior is almost all out.. engine bay is almost ready other than heater core and wiring harness. once it's ready I will sandblast the car and then primer the whole car and fix the rust issues then reassemble the car.

·
Registered
404 Posts
you sound like me. Post pics as you go.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been a while and started another project for a friend.. now that his is done it's back to this..

Ordered about 1500$ in metal parts and bolts and such over Black Friday. JUST placed an order for more interior (2500$) :'( parts such as the dash pad, brushed dash, procar seats and an American autowire harness and other goodies..

Pics of the 1500 order

Also have a hood and torque boxes. I ordered the master body fastener kit (bolts) and was VERY surprised at what I got for 40$.. (black Friday deal)

I hope to get this moving along in the next month and get some welding going on..

I got another project a while back... a 1991 dodge spirit R/T... rare car.. hoping to get 3500 - 4000$ out of it when I'm done with it so I can get the R&C coilover kit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The huge mess I made when I tried to be clever and slip a rubber glove over the end of the trans to try and NOT make a mess failed via the throttle linkage poking a hole in the glove and causing all of it to run out onto the floor.. :|

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An update:

I have decided to go with 4.10:1 rear gears when I get the gear vendors..

I ordered the performance c4 rebuild kit and has alto and rebestos racing clutches and a street/strip valve body and a shift kit with all the seals.

I ordered the procar rally seats and they should be here this wendsday.
My american autowire harness came yesterday with the seals for the body of the car..
I've asked forum member Kechke about his custom LED sequential conversion he did:

and I plan to do this if he gets back with me, I'll post a detailed way to do it if he lets me know what LED panels and other items he used.

Also got my door panels (WITH MY SEAT ADAPTER) it's like they're taunting me :(
I got a backup light kit. and my brushed dash kit.
As soon as I get the R&C kit you'll see a lot more going on here.

and speaking of.. I need to fix and sell another one of my "flip" cars the 91 dodge to get the Rod and Custom IFS kit 2700$ so I can start cutting the car up.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking around the forum and saw Member Alaric with this in his signature,

All I can say about this is.. Bad*** because I have picked black on black for the style of the car I am going to ask Alaric if I can rob his work and have an artist custom make this for me I can't get over how cool that would look

·
Registered
719 Posts
I was looking around the forum and saw Member Alaric with this in his signature,

All I can say about this is.. Bad*** because I have picked black on black for the style of the car I am going to ask Alaric if I can rob his work and have an artist custom make this for me I can't get over how cool that would look
I didn't make that myself; you'd have to talk to Mickey about that. I sent you his contact information in a PM. The image that I have posted is of a '99-2004 grille emblem, but way back in the long-long ago, he said that it wouldn't be an issue to airbrush a vintage emblem as long as it was as clean as new.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't make that myself; you'd have to talk to Mickey about that. I sent you his contact information in a PM. The image that I have posted is of a '99-2004 grille emblem, but way back in the long-long ago, he said that it wouldn't be an issue to airbrush a vintage emblem as long as it was as clean as new.
Sweet deal!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I figured I would restore the window frames because they have rust on them..

I sanded the rust down best I could with 100 grit and a wire wheel on a drill and a fine wire brush.. then hit it with

sanded after that with 180 grit and painted it with silver paint.

and the finished product

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I got access to a sandblasting box and started to blast some parts and such..
first I did the crankshaft pully.. and then wiped it down and hit it with that rust fix stuff that sprays on clear and turns rust into a black primer.. and keeps areas without rust clear.. well this is what happens when you hit it on freshly sandblasted metal

Now a few hours ago that was bare metal.. now what is interesting about this is I took sand paper to sand it down for the coat of paint and.. the rust fix actually turned the metal black... not rust but bare fresh metal.. it turned it black.. I've standed on 1 area with 80 grit and it's coming off in black metal dust.. this is cool

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An update...

I got a smoke machine to help me find the vacuum leaks on my flip car.

The car is ready to roll onto a trailer at a moments notice for a glass blasting and then be rolled over to the paint booth for a shot of epoxy primer.

My transmission rebuild kit came.. the clutches are VERY nice.. and it came with a valve body kit aswell even when it said it did not.. well needless to say I was surprised! all I need is a shift kit and you'll see some pics of that when I start the rebuild.

The aluminum door inserts came.. they look great except the drivers side one has a small scratch on it.. :( oh well..

My interior fastener kit came and some other items...

My brushed dash kit is still on back order :(

I ordered the lights used in the L.E.D sq tail lights as shown above and he also was kind enough to send me a link to make a relay for the sequential part of them.. the total DIY conversion should be 160$ vs the 300$ scott drake kit on CJ pony parts.. plus this should look better and I can say I built it myself.

I box blasted the hood hinges and the back of the rusty interior qtr panels and painted them black.

Soon I will have the items I need to get some serious work done on this car.

Until then.. I'll restore everything I can.. just saves time and $ in the long run.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Minor update:

I'm now going to go with a 22 gallon fuel tank from a 70 - 74 mustang and just build a trunk floor to match it! I'd like to go more than just 150 miles each time..

after all I'm building this to be a drivers car.. and it will see a few 1000+ mile road trips in it's life. I've already planned a north to west coast and down to south and back to home route. the next would be east coast.. then i'll probably take a trip up to Canada to Alaska in the early summer and stay up there for a week or two then head home. but that's A LONG ways off.

More parts came.. including my dash!

it looks amazing.. but there's a problem it looks to be not glued correctly.. and for 300+ dollars I don't feel I should have to do it. I uploaded a video of it..

Also the parts pile in the main room is growing.. I place them all there so every time I walk by when I'm doing nothing it reminds me I can do something.

The hole in my dash frame here is going to be a pain...

Also I have NO idea how this happened... I just saw it today.

The other side is just fine...

The rubber grommet for the antenna has basicly turned to stone and I could not remove it. One way or another it's coming out!

I ran into some trouble when I was removing the stock factory manual(foot pump) wiper sprayer pump... it was rusted on the 4 bolts so bad on the inside this happened when I barely touched it... I can't seem to find this metal panel on CJ or anywhere else.. probably because I don't know what it's called.. can anyone help me out? heres some pics. I don't think it's part of the firewall but I may be wrong..

And lastly the car is ready for blasting..(has been for a while) I'm only blasting things I'm keeping or trying to keep.. so it should be fairly easy. my only worry is the bottom of the cowl... I really don't want to drill out all those spot welds.
I'm going to start getting this done.. I plan on 4 hours a day after work and not working on it during weekends... the goal is to get all the bodywork done by late summer and early fall... I can rebuild an engine in a day or 2 if I have the correct parts.. trans is already rebuilt... so we should be on the road in the fall.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
An update... I called the maker of these dashes and they said that's been happening a lot.. they emailed me a fedex code and I put it back in the box and mailed it back to them(at their cost witch was nice..) they owned up to it and I respect their business for that!

I made the appointment for the blasting / priming and you should see ALOT more on this soon. I'm probably going to do the work and have long updates on it in the future.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awsome
Keep us updated
Love the parts in the house
Oh I'm not hearing the end of it in my house lol... garage and shop are full so you gotta do what you gotta do.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts