Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what these things were behind the rear wheels in a 67 Mustang

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you're not usen'em ...... Lose-em ...... that's time off your 1320.

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
294 Posts
^^^^^^ interesting ....... now I have to see if I have them still.

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Yes, that's the factory single exhaust shipping tie-down brkts. Normally removed by trucking transport drivers and reused.
I say "single exhaust" because a factory "dual exhaust" stang like my 67 390 vert, they had to use a longer shipping tie-down to clear everything. I have a set on my 67.

It's another item factory or dealers were to remove and re-use.
Another such item to be removed at factory was the blower motor shield. This was temporarily installed on firewall over blower motor before engine was installed, then removed. But most often on a factory 390 stang, engine was a tight fit and factory left those blower motor shields in place. I have it still on my 67 390.

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From the factory, no. But to hold an exhaust now, it’s fine.
am i SUPPOSED to hang my exhaust there when i get dual exhaust? Or am i supposed to do it another way?

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
am i SUPPOSED to hang my exhaust there when i get dual exhaust? Or am i supposed to do it another way?
Later today, tomorrow morning, I can take a picture of my 67 with the longer dual exhaust shipping brkts & dual exhaust.
The brkts weren't meant to be left on from shipping so run your dual exhaust to match your rear lower valance.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
All 3 of my 66s still have the shipping tie downs, and I have used them as another spot to anchor the dual exhaust on 2 so far. Works great.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The shop manual shows the exhaust pipes having their own dedicated hangers. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to use the tie downs to you know, tie down the car while they were shipping it to the dealers.

Full disclosure: I have a six cylinder so I don't know what a dual exhaust looks like under the car in real life. :)

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
860 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
860 Posts
The shop manual shows the exhaust pipes having their own dedicated hangers. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to use the tie downs to you know, tie down the car while they were shipping it to the dealers.

View attachment 793846

Full disclosure: I have a six cylinder so I don't know what a dual exhaust looks like under the car in real life. :)
Right, if your car came from the factory with dual exhaust, that above reference works. If not, you wont have the additional support on the floor pans or in the passenger side rear frame rail.

Chris

1 - 20 of 28 Posts