Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 fastback, installing a 351w ,with a/c and power steering. I want to use serpentine belts and pulleys. I was wondering if I should use the stock radiator for a 390 ,if so would it bolt right in or would I need some brackets to change .Also would I need a bigger fan and shroud ? Any help on your exp would be a plus ,thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Kentucky G, what engine was in your car before ? Serpent belt kits are available. For the rad you'll want some little mounts and rubbers for the bottom, and a clamp mount and rubbers for the top . NPD has them, if RickNine doesn't join this thread, you can call him. probably others have this stuff as well. I have the big FE radiator in front of a 302, in a 69. You'll have to make sure the serpent setup you choose lets you have the water inlet where you want it. Some setups have the waterpump inlet on the other side. LSG

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Are you dead set on a serpentine system? If so, cool. But if you're not, consider installing a 24" 3-core radiator, shroud and 7-blade clutch fan. I've been working some cooling issues on my car and I just sucked it up and ordered it all from West Coast Classic Cougar. Yeah, it's pricey, but everyone I've talked to who did this said it solved any and all cooling issues once and for all. Forgoing the serpentine setup would free up a lot of funds for the 24" radiator solution. Just a suggestion. Watch the WCCC video about this. Very informative.

You can still run a serpentine setup with that radiator and fan. It will just cost more.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I swapped out my stock original non-AC radiator (2 core?; 20" W x 16" H x 1.5" D basically) on my '67 289 Coupe when I had the engine rebuilt pretty much doubling the output (333ci stroker) to avoid overheat issues and planning for addition of AC. I like the stockish look so I upgraded to the big block with AC size (improved cooling tube size, etc.) I used NPD's radiator chart to find the larger/est 3 core BBF '67 radiator that would fit and found a shroud to match as the big block are 24" W x 2" D, so wider and thicker. https://www.npdlink.com/images/headers/Mustang Radiator Applications and Specifications.pdf

For the '67 SBF there are removable panels covering the extra space in the radiator support on the sides so you just remove those to mount the BBF radiator. I had to make some mounting strips from aluminum flat bar for some reason (holes didn't align?), maybe the BBF had these spacer adaptors to mount original similar to the wide SBF plates I removed?

As LSG mentioned I had to get a new upper radiator clamp/rubber and I fabbed my own bottom brackets from aluminum as I needed it to align with a trans cooler I was mounting. I haven't done my first start so I can't comment of cooling efficiency yet and I'm running stock pulleys/ V-belts so can't help you on the serpentine question. I went with a 6 blade thermoclutch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
67 mustang with a 351w. I used this SUM-380425-3 with this DER-16821 and the CVF Racing serpentine pulleys. Radiator for is awesome but needed custom brackets (nbd). It’s real tight, like 1/4” between the fan and the pulleys but some adjustable engine mounts can help if there’s clearance issues. Haven’t driven it with this setup yet so can’t comment on the cooling efficacy. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kentucky G, what engine was in your car before ? Serpent belt kits are available. For the rad you'll want some little mounts and rubbers for the bottom, and a clamp mount and rubbers for the top . NPD has them, if RickNine doesn't join this thread, you can call him. probably others have this stuff as well. I have the big FE radiator in front of a 302, in a 69. You'll have to make sure the serpent setup you choose lets you have the water inlet where you want it. Some setups have the waterpump inlet on the other side. LSG

I had the 289 previous

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,667 Posts
Radiator choice depends on which 351W water pump you have. Pre 1970 the radiator hoses both are on the right (passenger) side of the radiator. Starting in 1970, the upper hose is on the right side and the lower hose in on the left (driver's) side of the radiator. Generally the FE radiator will work with the 1970 style water pump without modification.

·
Registered
37,973 Posts
If you're going to run a serpentine setup, meaning a "reverse rotation" water pump, then you're going to need a radiator with a passenger side inlet and driver's side outlet. Check out Speedwaymotors.com for such a beast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts