Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1967 GT500
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 GTA and replaced the power steering leaking hoses and valve seats. It doesn't leak in the garage at rest. When I take it out, I get a leak. I don't have the clamp on holding the two long hoses in place as one of the hoses doesn't line up with the other for some reason to clamp them together and when I turn the wheel in the garage, they don't move. Does the clamp really stop the spray? Should I realign the hose so they both clamp down? Not sure if I can get one to line up like the other.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
You need the clamp around the valve body. Without it the hoses can flex causing a leak. There is much more pressure on the system while driving compared to sitting in the driveway. Did you replace the valve seats when you replaced the hoses? This is required.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I redid entire steering system last year after having Chockostang rebuild it. I had a small leak and was told that you need to really crank those tight...really tight...I think [email protected] tight was the exact instruction. In order to get to the top fittings you will need to remove the lower hoses first and get a good flare nut wrench. And yes, you will want to get them oriented correctly so you can get a band clamp around them. It is challenging to get everything lined up correctly.

Attachments

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I redid entire steering system last year after having Chockostang rebuild it. I had a small leak and was told that you need to really crank those tight...really tight...I think [email protected] tight was the exact instruction. In order to get to the top fittings you will need to remove the lower hoses first and get a good flare nut wrench. And yes, you will want to get them oriented correctly so you can get a band clamp around them. It is challenging to get everything lined up correctly.
Absolutely B E A U T I F U L!
Excellent instructions.

·
Registered
1967 GT500
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did replace all of the valve seats. I can't tell where it's leaking after a drive because it seems to be wet all over. Guessing it is leaking as it flexes? When I run the engine in the garage and turn the wheel left and right, I still get no leaks. Only when I take it out. I will have a hard time lining up the hose that fits into the smallest valve seat. I will have to loosen, adjust and re-tighten hoping it won't leak on the re-tighten. And I did crank the 6 valve seats when I installed them although some say not to. Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
All new hoses, HIGH DOLLAR, cheap, need adjusting. It is the installer that makes this happen. Then clamp the metal tubing to keep them stabilized. Hopefully you read, absorbed the part of tightening the two shorties from Knapper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts