Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. A little background, fairly recently I purchased a 1967 Mustang Coupe, 351w/4-speed that is going to need some work. Now, I did not purchase the car with delusions that it would not need some serious work, however a few of the issues are going to need attention sooner then I had anticipated.

I'll try and get some photos up but for some reason computer is not cooperating.

The car has had some very obvious repairs over the years, some okay, some not so okay. The rear frame rails do however seem to be original and un-repaired, which means they are pretty much rusted away. Bits of the middle portion are looking alright, but the rear shackles are almost all the way dissolved, as is a good portion of the torque box, both sides, and the mount for the rubber bumper on the drivers side. The trunk floor looks pretty salvageable, (rusty, but feels solid) but obviously that could change, as well as the floor surrounding the torque box. Either way, it's at a point where both rails need to go, and I would much rather spend the money and replace the entire piece (rail and torque box)

Sorry about the long explanation, trying to make up for lack of photos. So my question for everyone is: have any of you gone in and replaced these, outside of a full tear down/restoration? from what it looks like to me (barring finding some disaster), if I make a decent support setup, I can pull the fuel tank, rear end, leaf springs, back seat, carpet and interior panels and get to everything I need to cut it out and weld in the new rails.

Hope any of that makes sense, but any advice, tips, tricks, experience would be much appreciated!!! Thanks guys.

P

·
0 Posts
Absolutely . . you can do it just as you describe. Buy a Black & Decker Bullet bit, 5/16s and 3/8" would be my suggestions. They are for removing spot welds. You have a 4 1/2" angle grinder? Get 1/16 cut off wheels and some grinding wheels. Also . use the search function here and you will find a lot of write ups or questions about the very thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, and thank you for the response! Should definitely be all set up tool wise, I'll keep checking the factory measurements and figure out what sort of jig to keep everything aligned. This winter (which is exceptionally long in MN) I planned to do a complete tear down, new floors, new rockers and whatever else is needed, but wanted to get some good driving in this summer, and those rear rails are just unsafe at this point.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as time goes on, not my first old car, but first uni-body! Thanks again.

·
Registered
35,222 Posts
Do the worst side first, and measure the living crap out of it so you get the new ones in the same place. The eye bolt is the critical point, a 1/8" error there is a real problem, the rest of it could tolerate maybe 1/2".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I'll have to figure out some good measuring points, since most of that area is no longer there. I'll also try to get some pictures posted in case other people are in the same boat!

One other question, since the car would typically be supported in a jig by the rails, which are being removed, what would be a good alternative brace point?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts