Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the rear quarter inlet scoops removed? The 67 has the finned version.
I want to prep my car for paint and clear out some of the paint that is cracking around this area.

Also, are just the fins for sale from and vendors?
My catalogs always show that they come with the whole panel.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
From the inside out, you will need to take the panels, either side of the back seat off to expose the hardware.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The fins are cast metal, come in two parts each and bolt in with two nuts from the back. To take them out you must remove the interior trim panel and unscrew the nuts from the back.

Buying them, your question does not make sense. The quarter panel has two holes in it for the fins. If you need the metal around the fins, then yes, you must buy the entire panel, or find someone who only used the back half of their new Quartter panels like in this post below, and ask them if they want to sell the left over part of their quarter panel.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums...;gonew=1#UNREAD

The fins themselves can be bought very cheap on e-bay for $5-$10 all day long since every Mustang came with them and everyone who is making a Shelby clone takes them off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had to remove the rear vent windows to get the fins out. But there might be an easier way..

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
There is an easier way. I just slide a heavy screw driver between the two plates of the ornament and hit it with a hammer and it fall right off. But I'm putting on Shelby scoops so I don't need to re-use them. ::

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much.
My first thought was to bang with a hammer and see what happens.

Definitely glad I went with my second thought.... To ask those who know.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oldustyrelics,
Have you bought the side scoops yet? We're looking for both upper and lower scoops for a 68fb we are doing and was curious what company makes a decent fitting set.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I bought a set from Branda. Fit on the uppers was horrible. The contour to the body was made more for a basketball than the gentle radius of the Mustang Sail panel. The lower scoops were not too bad but did take some additional fit. I wound up using them on a vert a few months ago since I'm now going with finctional rear brake airducts. I've already fit the uppers and got them to look pretty darn good, but you've got to wonder why the original mold is do far off. Buying fiberglass stuff is hit or miss. It just depends on who they ordered that month's supply from.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm hearing. I just got the trunklid and extensions from Branda. FIt was good on the extensions and the trunk wasn't too bad. I might try Rebel Mustang for the scoops.
Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts