Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple quick questions regarding the specs...

The shop manual indicates rotor thickness as .81 ( iirc). Is this the minimum, at which point they should be replaced?

The 2nd question is more of a concours question, but, is there a source for just the rotor (not the hub) of a 2 piece original assembly? Are there 2 piece rotors even out there anymore?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I came across an original set of K/H calipers and 2 piece rotors and wondering if the rotors can be restored...meaning can the hub be separated and a new rotor attached

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Didn't know anyone was making 2 piece.
Maybe they're more generous thickness? The OE ones from Century were a joke back in the day.
Right out of the box they were "at throw away spec."

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
To my knowledge, no one makes the 64-67 2 piece rotors, OR the replacement rotors for the hubs.
We do have the rotor only for the 68-73 2 piece setup.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To my knowledge, no one makes the 64-67 2 piece rotors, OR the replacement rotors for the hubs.
Thanks for chiming in Dan. I looked more closely at the linked rotor from NPD and it states 260 and 289 as applications. I have a 390. Did the 390 use a bigger rotor?

·
Registered
20,340 Posts
Thanks for chiming in Dan. I looked more closely at the linked rotor from NPD and it states 260 and 289 as applications. I have a 390. Did the 390 use a bigger rotor?
As @Woodchuck said no but for Trans Am racing they would use Galaxy, Tbird rotors from 68 and later which were just under 12" and 1" thick on those hubs with 67 and earlier KH 4 piston calipers for 65/67 Galaxy and T bird with a custom mounting bracket. The rotors used on these cars were slightly larger. Anyway made for a very powerful braking system. @GT289 can explain better then I

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
There were two versions of the Big Brake kit back in the Boss 302 Trans Am days.....
One was based upon the 1967 12" T-bird rotor, which until recently, was the most massive
rotor to ever grace a Ford car. This setup for Trans Am had a unique bracket similar to the
65/67 Mustang caliper bracket and used the big car Kelsey Hayes calipers.
The other Big Brake setup used the same big car calipers, and '68 LTD rotors (Raybestos 6008),
which are around 11.5" diameter and also quite wide at over 1 inch. These also had unique
caliper brackets..... which were not the same as the T-bird derived big brakes.

This latter kit I have on both my '68 and my '66.

Street or Track has a modern day version of the kit because these days to come up with the
various vintage parts to copy the original B302 kit is a difficult and time-consuming task.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Attachments

·
Registered
20,340 Posts
There were two versions of the Big Brake kit back in the Boss 302 Trans Am days.....
One was based upon the 1967 12" T-bird rotor, which until recently, was the most massive
rotor to ever grace a Ford car. This setup for Trans Am had a unique bracket similar to the
65/67 Mustang caliper bracket and used the big car Kelsey Hayes calipers.
The other Big Brake setup used the same big car calipers, and '68 LTD rotors (Raybestos 6008),
which are around 11.5" diameter and also quite wide at over 1 inch. These also had unique
caliper brackets..... which were not the same as the T-bird derived big brakes.

This latter kit I have on both my '68 and my '66.

Street or Track has a modern day version of the kit because these days to come up with the
various vintage parts to copy the original B302 kit is a difficult and time-consuming task.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
I actually have a complete 67 set up, spindle and all. The rotors, calipers and pads appear to be like new, maybe only a couple hundred miles on them. I only have them because I ran across a screaming good deal, around $125 for the pair. So if I ever did this swap, exactly which or who's brackets would I need for the early stile 12"x1.25" rotors? I believe the caliper mounting threads need to be drilled out and some machining done to the calipers themselves? I'll probably never do it but curious.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Never done the one that uses the T-bird rotors. Had the unique brackets for it but sold all that
stuff to another racer years ago.
Supposed to be the same big car KH calipers. I think the rotors were 5 on 5 ? I never
looked into it in depth after the deal with the rotor pattern surfaced.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
20,340 Posts
Never done the one that uses the T-bird rotors. Had the unique brackets for it but sold all that
stuff to another racer years ago.
Supposed to be the same big car KH calipers. I think the rotors were 5 on 5 ? I never
looked into it in depth after the deal with the rotor pattern surfaced.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Thanks for the info. I did post them for sale on a couple FB forums but no nibbles. They are 5 on 4.5. For a while I was running early 90's Crown Vic 15×6.5 steel wheels on my 66. I tried one of the wheels on the big brake set up. Hit the caliper.

While not the best set up my 71 disc work good enough for my use. Before those I was running big block drum shoes with finned drums. They worked very well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is not true. I ordered a set of Centric rotors part # 125.61053 a few months ago to do on my 65 GT. My GT has under 94K original miles and most of the car is original, including the rotors, calipers, etc.

The Centric rotors are very nice and thicker than the originals. As an added bonus they are e-coated so they are not rusting. They can be found at a number of online retailers.

I pressed off the hub / studs from the old rotor and pressed them onto the new rotor. Rotor is virtually identical to the original rotor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts