Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I a getting ready to jump in with both feet and do the alignment and mounting of the shelby front fascia. What I was wondering... there is a crossmember which mounts on the 4 front fender bolts on the rad support... the steel support which goes from side to side, has about 6 small holes in it... do thes holes hold screws which mount through the fiberglass to the support? It seems logical, that the center of the fiberglass would be screwed, or supported here, but the old shelby we had was a 68 with a different front end.

thanks in advance for any insight

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
No, the holes are for rivets. Special rivets with very large heads. On my car (which has inboard lights) two of the rivets also hold the grille in place.

I have been told that the original rivets were black. I don't know if black rivets are available. Most people use aluminum ones and paint them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Along this same question, on mine, the fiberglass sets about 1/2" above the crossmember. I attached the rivets in the middle, but I'm afraid that doing the rest will cause the fiberglass to bow and crack. Is this right? Should the fiberglass nose sit directly on the crossmember?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
There are rivets that hold the lower opening lp to the bottom of the radiator core support, then, there are rivets that hold the upper opening lower lip to the brace that you should have bolted in.
But, if these are clone cars, using latter day built stuff, well, somebody's repop measuring seems to be off a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts