Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine owns this rust free 1967 Shelby GT500 that came from California. He finally decided he wanted us to paint it after he had owned it awhile.

This is what we started with.

I used a razor blade to strip off the blue paint which is not the original color.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stripped the hood and found a few imperfections and cracks around the scoop. I used panel adhesive on the cracks.

I epoxy primed with SPI epoxy

·
Registered
632 Posts
Interesting!

I'm restoring a 1967 Shelby myself,only it'a a GT-350. It's still in the primer/blocking stage's.The fiberglass still need's some re-fitting also. The Hood was a mess. A carb fire and a spider crack nightmare.

Marty.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Fiberglass parts on 40+ year-old Shelbys can break your heart. They were never intended to last this long. Typically, they have suffered a lot of use and abuse, which makes it worse.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sanded it down to bare metal than Brian taped off the undercarriage since it was already restored by the owner.

Sprayed 2 coats of SPI epoxy primer next step is the bodywork.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The back side of this Shelby hood is supposed to be black and has a rough finish. When it was painted years ago they painted it blue. I used stripper for fiberglass stripping small areas at a time with a small wire brush.

After I was finished I washed it a few times and let it sit in the sun. After a few days I epoxy primed.

The surface was very rough after the wire brush so I used a red scuff pad to smooth it out and applied 2 more coats of SPI black epoxy.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finished the bodywork than sprayed a coat of SPI black epoxy.

I waited a couple of hours than sprayed 2 coats of Evercoat Slick Sand

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started block sanding with 80 than 180 almost ready for more primer

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I painted the back side of the deck lid yesterday. It is hard to get a good picture showing the true color.

·
Registered
292 Posts
what's the ball park figure on cost for this sort of amazing paint shop? For a typical 65 convertible?

Deke

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what's the ball park figure on cost for this sort of amazing paint shop? For a typical 65 convertible?

Deke
It is hard to give an estimate on a 45 year old car there is always hidden damage or rust. Our labor rate at this time is $45.00 per hour.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts