Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now at a complete loss and require some outside assistance. Needless to say, the car is a 1967 with a 200. Being a work-in-progress, I had garaged the car about three to four years ago in perfect running condition. I had replaced the timing chain, most major gaskets, and replaced the stock distributor with MSD 6 Ignition. I was driving the car daily, with the above work done to the engine, for over 2 years without any problems. I then placed the car in the garage and ran the engine every other month...then never turned it over for at least three years.

Four years later and now I decide to get the car running again. I did the following to prepare the engine to be turned over: Changed the oil and antifreeze and drained all of the old gas. Figuring that the car was running perfectly when I parked it in the garage, I assumed that just adding new gas would allow me to drive right out....WRONG!

This is what I have come up with as to the problem at hand: With either the MSD 6 OR the old Stock Ignition system (I kept the old distributor), I cannot get the car to start when I time the engine at TDC (compression stroke on Cylinder 1). If I turn the distributor as far as I can turn counter-clockwise (from TDC), the engine will semi-idle and will eventually backfire through the carburetor.

I have rebuilt the carburetor, checked the compression (~86 in each cylinder), checked plug wires, replaced spark plugs, checked and replaced the coil....I am preparing to do a leak down test tomorrow, but I don’t think I need to as the compression seems good enough.

Has anyone out there seen this?!?!?!

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Yes.....relax!
As a person (and whose family) who has stored cars for sometimes years with very highly modified engines I can tell you this does not sound totally unusual. When vehicles stay parked for a while, whether the engine is fire up or not "goofy" things happen. I would check to see if the valves are sticking....a very common problem. Also check to se if the timing chain may have "let go" or jumped a tooth..I have had this happen to me too...I can't explain why. But I would give gambling odds to the sticking valves. I had an engine one time that I actually had to use a hammer and punch with kerosene to get it to break loose...and that was with vasco jet valve springs! (racing application type.....I think seated psi was 100 and compressed psi was 250+). Don't change the tuneup settings....it's bound to be something other than that and the more you stay at "ground zero" settings (that the way it was when it was parked) the easier it is to work everything out.
BTW....when a vehicle stays parked for several years, it typically doesn't run very smooth at all....for at least a couple of weeks. The it will run like it is suppose to....rough idle, slight miss, wierd vibrations all kinda disappear.

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
It sure sounds like you're "almost in time". Double check the spark plugs for correct firing order. It sounds the the distributor that "semi idles" is one tooth off of time. Instead of pulling it, just jump all the plug wires around one step clockwise and see what happens.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice! I was figuring I would probably need to remove the valve cover at some point to see what is going on...

I'll let you know if you're right!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believe it or not, I tried that! After the advance got in the way of me turning the distributor any further (counter-clockwise), I swapped wires 1 forward (Clockwise). However, this made the engine seem to "seize"....

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
However, this made the engine seem to "seize"....
That will happen when the timing is way too far advanced. It tries to fire when the piston is coming up on compression stroke, and it will just stall out. When you moved the wires clockwise, this would advance timing by over 20 degrees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts