Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1967 and cannot get it to charge. I have rewired the alternator, replaced it with a new one (both tested ok at Kragen), but am lost. I know it could be the voltage regulator, but what about the wiring? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The experience with my '67 is the problem is always the Voltage Regulator. I finally succumbed to modern technology, purchased the new style, and now my battery stays charged.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I agree my 65 had the same problem replaced the regulator and the problem went away.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Try and stay away from Kragen, Autozone type of rebuilds....

I have had nothing but problems with them

SOmetimes when you have replaced the alternator and regulator you will find that the battery still doesn't hold a charge

This is because the Sulfuric acid in the electrolyte has released the sulfur molecule and it has crystalized at the bottom of the lead plates.

have the battery tested.

if needed go with an optima red top

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
best to get regulator and alt checked together as a unit - Autozone usually does it at no charge. also check connector at bottom of regulator - dam thing just hangs there by its skin.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Probably the regulator, I have gone through 4 of them in the last year, 2 of them in one week. Ever since I put a ground strap from the engine to the firewall (which I know I should have done long ago) they seem to last a lot longer. I had some people suggest converting to a GM style alternator which is internally regulated and less likely to fail. Anyone ever heard about that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts