Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 1967Fastback GTA S-code that I am very close to purchasing. It needs to be restored and the car was what I was looking for EXCEPT that it has a C-6 auto transmission, I know I can convert it to a 4 speed but I have been told that is costly and do not know how to do it myself so I will have to get a shop to do it for me. Here is my dilemma: Should I leave it as factory since I am a purist regarding originality or should I go ahead and convert it to a 4 speed. Is the change worth it regarding value of the car. There is also the FUN factor driving it so please give me your opinions on this matter. Thanks to all who reply.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
A car like the one you speak of I would leave stock. If you have to buy a tranny then I may consider going to a 4-speed but I think I would still lean towards the auto because of the car.

You will pay for the parts for the conversion and they won't be cheap. Tthen you throw in the cost of paying someone to perform the swap which will be costly as well.

This would make it not worth while in my book. If you ever sold the car it may hurt the value of the car since it wouldn't be sporting its correct tranny.

With big block motors I like to have autos any way.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Here are some of the parts that you will need:
Z bar, Clutch rod, clutch pedal, frame pivot bracket, engine pivot bracket, tranny, driveshaft, crossmember, shifter, Console insert, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, engine block plate, reverse switch, adjusting rod for clutch fork arm, clutch fork, inspection cover, release bearing, misc springs, misc bushings, hole in firewall, and misc rubber boots. That should cover most of it.

All of these parts can get pretty pricey and there could be a few specific 67 parts in the mix which could add to the list. Check out Mansfield mustang and they have a price list for all the BB specific parts.

Myself I would keep it a C6 and be happy with it.
I had to find lots of missing pieces for my 4spd car and I can't even look at the sheet with all the prices.

A 67 GTA is a great car even with a C6.

·
Registered
858 Posts
originality = good value :p simple math lol...personally...w\any sort of rare option/edition for a mustang...keep it original, ull be happier in the end...trust me lol especially a S code GTA FB

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Keep it an automatic, in regards to value it will drop the car. If you can't do the conversion yourself it will cost $$$$.
If you want fun then put a big shift kit and stall converter in it, or buy a 4 spd car.

G

·
I think it depends on what your going to do with the car when its done
or 5-10 years down the road
i woulden`t do anything to the car that coulden`t be changed back fairly
easy
if you make it a 4 spd,be sure to save all the automatic stuff for the future
Value depends on a couple of things:are you going concourse? better leave it an auto.
just for you to enjoy and a few shows here an there make it a U-shift it model
in the end its your car and your money make it the way you want it,
build the car for you,not someone else
people pay big bucks for cars that often dont match #s wise,because frankly
there neat and fun
just my.2 C
Dave

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
A GTA with a standard is no longer a GTA. The fact that it's an S-code makes it more worthy of being preserved as it is. If you really want a standard shift, hold out for a GT.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just a thought...long ,long time ago guy from PR posted he couldn't understand why he couldn't sell his very nice Mustang..even was offering to ship the car to the US at his cost. You may want to consider if you butcher this car you will severly limit the market for this car to just your area. Try a search for something like" why can't I sell my car" or "why won't my car sell" if you want to see..Or was it you in the first place??!! By the way, I have a very nice 67GTA 390 FB, vintage burgandy, ddeluxe interior..would I go a 4spd??NO..... it's all original and it can stay that way..

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,671 Posts
"Purist" and "Value" tell me you want it to remain "original". "Fun factor" depends on what you find "fun". An S code with a C6 and a shift kit can be lots of fun with a minimum of work and $$$$ compared to a manual conversion. I suggest driving the car and deciding for yourself if the "Fun Factor" is there and make your buying decision accordingly. Good Luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts