Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me some general information about setting the timing on my car? I have borrowed a timing light, and I don't know what RPM it should be when in park, or in drive or how much advance it should have or better yet what page in my Chiltons can I find this info on, because I can't find it LOL. Also is that all their really is to "setting the timing" , or am I missing some steps? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I've never done this before...
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
alot of mustangers run around 10-12 degrees of initial timing. the stock 6 degress the books will usually specify just isnt enough . i myelf, i run 13 or 14 degrees initial and my car seems to like it. no pinging , and it gained some low end grunt going from 6*

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You will attach the inductive pickup of the timing light to the no. 1 plug wire. Look at the pickup, as some timing lights must have the pickup oriented correctly. Attach the positive lead to the + battery post, the negative lead to the - post. Get your idle speed set first (if it needs any adjustment ... odds are it doesn't). Then Loosen the distributor hold down clamp and plug the vacuum advance. Start the engine, point the light at the timing marks and pull the trigger. Rotate the distributor until the desired mark lines up with the pointer.

Idle speed and initial timing advance are TOTALLY dependent on the components of the engine. If your engine is all stock, set it to stock specs. The Ford engineers went to lots of R&D to come up with those specs. Overtiming an engine is a very common mistake. The gasoline we buy today is just plane CRAP compared to the gas these engines were designed to run on, especially if you have to buy your gas in California. The more initial advance you have the more advance you'll have during the power band, and it's quite easy to get TOO much advance robbing power and economy (not to mention the damage it does to the engine).

If your engine is stock, you should set your timing to 6 deg. BTDC (8 MAX).

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If your distributor is of the vacuum advance type, don't forget to disconnect it from the carb and plug it(carb end) before you set your timing. If your car is automatic, idle speed needs to be set w/the car in drive. Idle speed is 800 rpm. If standard, put the car in neutral w/headlights on, same idle speed. If you are sticking w/points, timing is 6° BTC and plug gap is 0.030"-0.035", if you have upgraded to Pertronix then 10°-12° BTC and gap your plugs to 0.040". That should cover it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help everyone, I currently have it set up with no advance, I will definately change that LOL,

Thanks again
Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts