Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 1968 with a 289 and a 4 barrel Edelbrock carb (came with the car so I'm unsure the exact model). Its my daily driver (only driving 15mi a day or so) and for the past 6 months has been tried and true, no issues always started up and ran great. Very recently started fine, drove fine, and then shut off without warning in a parking lot as I was pulling in. Now it will start fine and idle for about 2-5 minutes before shutting off without any signs its about to. It takes a bit of sitting before it will start again and repeat this, during that time the engine will turn over but not actually start, so I think the starter is fine. I checked the distributer and it has a points swap for an Accel electric system. I tried changing out the ignition coil just now and it stayed idling longer but then got back to shutting off unexpectedly. I did change the steering wheel to a new one earlier this week, though I can't see why that would result in this. The gas tank was replaced about a year ago so I dont think there anything plugging the gas lines.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't think the steering wheel has anything to do with it. I would suggest you look at a wiring diagram of the starting and ignition system. Something is failing as it gets hot and doesn't work until it cools down. Is the ignition coil you used a known good one? Putting a set of points in it would tell you if it's the point's conversion. Before I did that I would do the following:

I would start it up at home and let it run until it stops. Then I would take a plug out and ground it and have someone try to start it while you watch the plug gap and check for spark. If you have no spark you know it's in the ignition system. If you have spark then it would suggest it is in the fuel system. Then you take the air cleaner off and work the carb linkage and look for fuel in the carb. If you have fuel then it would suggest the ignition system.

My money is on the ignition system. If you don't have spark it is obviously an intermittent problem since it starts and runs when it is cold. I would start to check the wiring to the coil while it is hot with a multimeter. Someone will chime in here in a bit with the specs for what voltage you should see at the coil with the key on. If you have different readings between when the engine is dead cold and after it has quit that would suggest you have a wiring issue. If the readings are the same and within spec then it would suggest the coil, the electronic points conversion, or possibly even the coil to distributor wire.

I would go through these checks before I would start buying parts. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts