Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
-1968 Mustang Coupe -2019 Mercedes CLA250 -2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 6M/T
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have encountered a small issue as of today, I normally check my lights before going out and I put on my hazards, they flash in the front, the hood scoop, the gauges but they aren't flashing in the taillights. When I step on the brake they go solid so obviously my brake lights are working, and when I checked both turn signals they are also working all the way around.
Anyone know what could be the issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think so. The brake lights and turn signals work so the problem must be in the Emergency Flasher switch or wiring.
Update, brake lights are also out yet the hazards go solid in the front when the pedal is pressed and the hazards are turned on

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think so. The brake lights and turn signals work so the problem must be in the Emergency Flasher switch or wiring.
The hazards do work aside from in the rear, yet I still got parking lights and signals

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sounds to me like turn signal switch. That is my guess, you could verify by checking the output at the switch connector, but if the signals work normal otherwise then the bulb and wiring are ok. The switch is where the variable is. Hazard flasher won't affect your brake lights, but again the turn signal switch will. Same wiring and bulb filament as the turn signals.
Cheap enough, you could plug one into the harness to verify also before tearing into the column.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If your 68 hazard switch is anything like my 67, try wiggling it around a bit while pushing it in and out. Sometimes they get weird and when they do they cause strange issues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your 68 hazard switch is anything like my 67, try wiggling it around a bit while pushing it in and out. Sometimes they get weird and when they do they cause strange issues.
Once i find it I'll give it a shot, the turn signal switch and wiring was just replaced last year, hopefully its not that.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Once i find it I'll give it a shot, the turn signal switch and wiring was just replaced last year, hopefully its not that.
I'm guessing he is saying wiggle the hazard button while pushing it in and out. If the contacts are borderline doing so can possibly clean them up a little to where it might work. Could also try shooting some electrical contact cleaner in the switch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm guessing he is saying wiggle the hazard button while pushing it in and out. If the contacts are borderline doing so can possibly clean them up a little to where it might work. Could also try shooting some electrical contact cleaner in the switch.
I'll consider that if the contacts aren't clean, thank you! Once I find the relay I'll jiggle it

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Verify that the contact cleaner you use is plastic safe.

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The way to go about this is to step through the circuit one part at a time until you get to the culprit. Randomly trying different things may not solve the issue. It’s best to be methodical and work through it. You’ll need at least a volt meter and should have the factory service manual. Everything you need to know about those circuits is in the FSM.

First place I’d start is to make sure the wiring from the dash to the rear is good and has a solid ground. If your backup lights also don’t work it’s an indicator there is a bad ground. Once you know the wiring from the dash to the back is move upstream to the next component and check that. Keep doing this until you find the culprit. Anything from relay or switch contacts to wiring issues could be the problem. It’s going to require some trouble shooting to find it. It could be any one of the things that have been suggested.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The way to go about this is to step through the circuit one part at a time until you get to the culprit. Randomly trying different things may not solve the issue. It’s best to be methodical and work through it. You’ll need at least a volt meter and should have the factory service manual. Everything you need to know about those circuits is in the FSM.

First place I’d start is to make sure the wiring from the dash to the rear is good and has a solid ground. If your backup lights also don’t work it’s an indicator there is a bad ground. Once you know the wiring from the dash to the back is move upstream to the next component and check that. Keep doing this until you find the culprit. Anything from relay or switch contacts to wiring issues could be the problem. It’s going to require some trouble shooting to find it. It could be any one of the things that have been suggested.
View attachment 760855
View attachment 760856
Thank you, I will try that once I have time

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I meant to say to wiggle the switch on the side of the steering column. As you can see in the diagrams the switch can interrupt the lights so if it gets in a spot where the contacts are dirty or if it's just half on half off it can partially interrupt the circuit and do strange things.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I meant to say to wiggle the switch on the side of the steering column. As you can see in the diagrams the switch can interrupt the lights so if it gets in a spot where the contacts are dirty or if it's just half on half off it can partially interrupt the circuit and do strange things.
Ooohhh I thought you meant press the switch and wiggle the relay at the same time, i understand now, ill try that no problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts