Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 Mustang coupe - california car, nothing special or rare about the car.
Bought it from a guy who put a ton of time/money into upgrading various things. It came with a well built 351W, Tremec TKO, 9" rear, weld in sub frame connectors, very nice custom Kooks exhaust. For about a year after I bought it, I drove it and tinkered with it. I added multi port EFI, some small electrical upgrades, some interior pieces and seats out of a 2015 Mustang.

As I drove it, I became more and more convinced that I really wanted to build it right - and put as much new technology into it as possible. I'm a big fan of classic style with new tech fusion.

I'm also realistic enough to know the limitations of my own skill set, tool and workshop availability, and most importantly - time. I read an article in Mustang Monthly about a 1966 Mustang build that really jumped out at me - so I contacted the builder. Loved his philosophy and appreciation for classic cars (especially Mustangs), so decided to go all in.

Here we go...

My build plan - decisions on major mechanicals done.
  • Coyote engine: options I considered include Gen 2, Gen 3, Voodoo 5.2, 5.2XS Aluminator. It took me a long time to decide - unfortunately I am a horsepower junkie so nothing stock is good enough. I settled on the 5.2XS Aluminator for two reasons - it is unique, and it makes great power in naturally aspirated form.
  • T56 Magnum XL
  • MTF C6 front suspension
  • MTF Watts Link rear
  • Mini tubbed rear to accommodate a wide tire
Still working on the cosmetic / style decisions - color, front nose, hood, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Added multi port fuel injection - dramatically improved idle, throttle response, and fuel efficiency. Can't say enough positive things about the EFI system.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I would absolutely love to have that motor! Probably sticking with Gen III coyote though, more within the budget.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gen 3 with a cam swap (and of course a good tune) was a top contender. Slightly tougher to fit because of the direct injection pump, but doable.

·
Registered
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe
32 Posts
Sweet build. I’m interested in getting my car to where you began with before taking it apart!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bunch of good parts showed up. MTF C6 front, MTF rear knockdown kit, MTF nose and deck lid, MTF mini tubs, and T56.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts