Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there - I am swapping over my '68 standard interior door panels to '68 Deluxe Interior panels and I am at a loss as to how the Pull-Straps are mounted as my door shell have no factory holes for them. perhaps someone has a bare FACTORY '68 deluxe door shell and can provide some dimensions? nudge nudge wink wink....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I’ve got pics on my laptop. I’ll look for them tomorrow

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS Flade! - and 22GT. GEEZ.. my door kinda looks like crap at the moment! I'm thinking this was an assembly-line addition with a template / Jig. I'm scared as hell trying to guess to line things up with the DRAKE repro parts I have. The Pull Strap 'buckles' seem to land evenly on the door panel details on the pictures I've looked at - and trying to replicate that is not going to be fun. is there any way to triangulate all the holes so I can transfer them to my door? Thanks. Pete

·
Registered
34,654 Posts
Sure. Enlarge the above photo to the exact size of the door and mark the door through the paper pattern. You only need to mark the holes for the pull strap, of course, the 68 doors already have the holes for the arm rest. 67 doors do not, of course. Dynacorn doors are 68, so no problem there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 22GT! I have located the Drake pull strap and 'buckles' on the new aftermarket interior panel and marked where the pull strap hole "should" be according to pictures I found in various links here and marked the holes with tape and a marker. I then held the interior panel in place and transferred the forward hole mark to the door with an 'automatic' center punch and the mark is pretty much exactly where Flade shows it to be. I've assembled the new strap to the new Drake transverse bracket and located it to the forward hole mark on the door before drilling anything all seems to line up according to Flade's picture. I will heed your advice and enlarge the picture and transfer the points before drilling any holes 'by guess'. While all these aftermarket parts may be "the best reproductions available" one can never be sure without an actual factory part to work with. Hard to believe 'they' did this whole process in about 18 seconds on the line back in the day.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts