Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , a quick question hopefully somebody can help , I have a 68 with a 289 , the distributor I think was original , I brought an HEI replacement online not knowing that there might be a difference of long shaft , mine appears to need a short shaft one , is there a difference, the oil pump shaft seems to be 8 mm on the new one whereas the old one is 6mm , has anyone had a similar issue ?
Help please lol 馃槀
Thank you

Premium Member
1966 GT 4spd
I think what most are going to tell you is to return the HEI unit. There are units that are genuine Ford pieces that will work the same if not better and not look hideous on your engine(IMO).

Why are you replacing your distributor to begin with?

Welcome to the forum!!

Chris

Premium Member

Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
Hi all , a quick question hopefully somebody can help , I have a 68 with a 289 , the distributor I think was original , I brought an HEI replacement online not knowing that there might be a difference of long shaft , mine appears to need a short shaft one , is there a difference, the oil pump shaft seems to be 8 mm on the new one whereas the old one is 6mm , has anyone had a similar issue ?
Help please lol 馃槀
Thank you
Sounds like you've got a 351w distributor. It should be the same length from the mounting surface down, but the oil pump drive shaft is 5/16" aka 8mm vs the 289/302 ones at 1/4" aka 6mm.

Registered
The HEI type distributor would be my last choice. A properly tuned stock distributor can easily equal or surpass the performance of the HEI. Any OTC HEI would have questionable advance curves, at best. I have never seen a distributor come out of the box properly adjusted.
Being in Britain, V8 Simon needs a one-and-done solution. Obviously, shipping the existing distributor to the US for rebuild and adjustment is an expensive proposition. Probably best to have someplace like the Mustang Barn set up a remanufactured distributor to fit the configuration of the car and ship it.

Registered
Yeah, sounds like you got a 351W distributor and not a 289/302 distributor. I don't know what, if anything, is available Across the Pond. I would suggest looking for a factory replacement distributor and, if possible, someone local who can calibrate it.

Premium Member
1966 GT 4spd
Well its been 2 days, not sure if they will be back?

Chris

Reactions: Redneckgearhead
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.