Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone else’s 68 door butchered up behind the lower door grill where the speaker goes. This is the original door with the original speakers and wiring. The hole looks like it was cut with a dull axe. I assume this was done by the factory since the speakers are original. I don’t see why someone else would have done this unless they were adding different speakers. The holes for the courtesy lights and door grill are perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess a lot can happen in 50 years. Since this car only came with a AM radio would the speakers have been added later by a dealer or owner?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,159 Posts
I guess a lot can happen in 50 years. Since this car only came with a AM radio would the speakers have been added later by a dealer or owner?
by an owner by the looks at the craftsmanship used to cut the hole.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That door is history. It had rust along the bottom. It has new doors on it now and i am transferring the grill over. I am not looking forward to making all the square holes for the door grill hardware but I want to make it right.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,636 Posts
While it is unlikely the factory did such a poor job of cutting the doors for speakers, it wouldn't be the first time someone screwed up on the assembly line. For 1968, the door speakers came with AM/8 Track Stereo Tape or AM/FM Stereo radios.

On a factory '67 deluxe interior car that i worked on a few years ago, the factory messed up the door courtesy lights and the car was shipped with an awl scratched rectangle where the lights should go with the word "Cut" scratched inside the rectangle. The courtesy light wiring harness was laying inside the door and packets of white plastic square mounting grommets were under the original carpet while the grilles were attached with screws to hand drilled round holes rather than the stamped square holes. Never say never.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen the hack job Shelby did on the 66 quarter windows so I am not surprised by much. Since this car came with only came with a AM it makes since that it was added later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts