Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Your car was already awesome car to start with. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Made some additional powertrain decisions this week. I had been going back and forth between 2 pedals and 3. It seems most new coyote builds have 2 pedals and the 10 speed auto. I have a V-10 M5 with SMG as my daily and as much as I absolutely love that car I wanted driving my mustang to feel different so I ended up going with a 6 speed Magnum XL with the 2.97 first and .63 final drive. Car will have a 3.73 rear end

I used the M5 for reference and these are the calculations I came to (assuming 245/45R17 tires)
2.66 (.80 final drive) would be 1734 RPM at 70
2.97 (.63 final drive) will be 2185 RPM at 70
M5 has a .83 final drive and 3.62 rear diff and hits 2500 RPM at 70 in 7th gear
2.66 (.80 final drive) would be 1982 RPM at 80
2.97 (.63 final drive) will be 2498 RPM at 80
M5 has a .83 final drive and 3.62 rear diff and hits 3000 RPM at 80 in 7th gear

So the 2.97/.63 transmission will cost me some fuel economy and 400-500 RPM at the top end but this build isn't about fuel economy. The M5 has taught me that when you have an engine that revs to 8000, 500 RPM at cruising speed is nothing to worry about (though I won't have comparable noise isolation in this car).

I will be trying to maximize space in the tunnel so I can accommodate the 10R80 or DCT down the line without cutting up the floor again. DCT is my dream but the $25K+ asking price for those is insane

Also ordered C&R Racing radiator with integral engine oil and power steering coolers

Also ended up ordering hydroboost pedal assembly, and master cylinder from Revology
Revology 67400 - Revology Manual Transmission Pedal Assembly for Coyote Engine Swap with Hydroboost

Car should go to dustless blasting tomorrow or early next week. Price is about the same and I hope the dustless blasting will be easier on the roof. As it is I already suspect I'm going to have to replace the passenger rear quarter and everything in front of the firewall.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wow, that combination will be terrific! I can't wait to see/hear it when it is running again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you look at photos online you don't appreciate how high the intake is on these engines.
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Auto part Machine

As I believe I mentioned elsewhere I'm planning on getting 8 stack EFI from Jim Inglese. I had always wanted an 8-stack coyote system and Jim's only work with the gen 2 coyotes so for a while I didn't think it would work. It's funny, when I thought it couldn't work I was disappointed but relieved that I didn't have to spend the additional money. Now I'm excited but disappointed that I have to spend the additional money.

Going with natural finish on the intake and vertical rather than cross ram stacks. Coyote is an industrial/brutal looking engine anyway so I think a bunch of polished chrome would look out of place sitting on top. Also the aluminator coil covers look trashy to me so something will have to be done there

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
When you look at photos online you don't appreciate how high the intake is on these engines. View attachment 835005

As I believe I mentioned elsewhere I'm planning on getting 8 stack EFI from Jim Inglese. I had always wanted an 8-stack coyote system and Jim's only work with the gen 2 coyotes so for a while I didn't think it would work. It's funny, when I thought it couldn't work I was disappointed but relieved that I didn't have to spend the additional money. Now I'm excited but disappointed that I have to spend the additional money.

Going with natural finish on the intake and vertical rather than cross ram stacks. Coyote is an industrial/brutal looking engine anyway so I think a bunch of polished chrome would look out of place sitting on top. Also the aluminator coil covers look trashy to me so something will have to be done there
From someone who designed my own ITB system, I would highly reccomend cross-ram style ITBs if at all possible. It allows you to achieve a longer "runner" length for better low end torque. All else being equal setting the ITBs at an angle will net you a better street setup than vertical stacks. My setup is actually a hybrid...the ITBs themselves are vertical, but the stacks are cross-ram and curved. If I had to design it from scratch again I would do things a bit differently and go for more of a true cross-ram design:

Anyway, hood clearance will quickly become an issue for vertical stacks for a street car...this is why cross-ram is the better choice. I made very sure when designing the system that I was only losing an inch or so off of the intake tract length....the more length you lose, the bigger the hit you take to low-end torque and streetability.

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
510 Posts
Very nice,
Great radiator choice. Check out the “Improved Racing” remote oil filter and oil cooler thermostat assembly. It facilitates AN12 plumbing and ensures hi volume flow and plumbing to/from the C&R 11554. Also, I personally highly recommend “ANhosefittings.com” for your plumbing needs (Same raceflux fittings/hose as sold on improved racing). Pricing was very competitive when purchasing over certain $$ amounts and their lengthy return policy/customer support was superb! - and very fast shipping. Plumbing direction and fitting options and angles get quite overwhelming when talking everything involved with the”swap” - remote oil filter, cooler, PS & cooler, PBrakes, fuel etc. I know I attempted to map everything out to perfection but once fittings were in hand, I in every case realized a different angle or configuration would work better…. I found it best to just order every possible option, finalize design/direction on the fly and return those that I did not use.

I noticed you linked the “XL” version of the T56. Was that to facilitate the Roaster Shop chassis or did you want the shifter further back?

Going to be awesome!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
6 speed Magnum XL with the 2.97 first and .63 final drive. Car will have a 3.73 rear end
Sounds sweet! Wish I could have sprung for the Aluminator. Am building with same transmission but will be running 3.50 rear gears. Figure Coyote will be loafing at 80mph on road trips.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Made some additional powertrain decisions this week. I had been going back and forth between 2 pedals and 3. It seems most new coyote builds have 2 pedals and the 10 speed auto. I have a V-10 M5 with SMG as my daily and as much as I absolutely love that car I wanted driving my mustang to feel different so I ended up going with a 6 speed Magnum XL with the 2.97 first and .63 final drive. Car will have a 3.73 rear end

I used the M5 for reference and these are the calculations I came to (assuming 245/45R17 tires)
2.66 (.80 final drive) would be 1734 RPM at 70
2.97 (.63 final drive) will be 2185 RPM at 70
M5 has a .83 final drive and 3.62 rear diff and hits 2500 RPM at 70 in 7th gear
2.66 (.80 final drive) would be 1982 RPM at 80
2.97 (.63 final drive) will be 2498 RPM at 80
M5 has a .83 final drive and 3.62 rear diff and hits 3000 RPM at 80 in 7th gear

So the 2.97/.63 transmission will cost me some fuel economy and 400-500 RPM at the top end but this build isn't about fuel economy. The M5 has taught me that when you have an engine that revs to 8000, 500 RPM at cruising speed is nothing to worry about (though I won't have comparable noise isolation in this car).

I will be trying to maximize space in the tunnel so I can accommodate the 10R80 or DCT down the line without cutting up the floor again. DCT is my dream but the $25K+ asking price for those is insane

Also ordered C&R Racing radiator with integral engine oil and power steering coolers

Also ended up ordering hydroboost pedal assembly, and master cylinder from Revology
Revology 67400 - Revology Manual Transmission Pedal Assembly for Coyote Engine Swap with Hydroboost

Car should go to dustless blasting tomorrow or early next week. Price is about the same and I hope the dustless blasting will be easier on the roof. As it is I already suspect I'm going to have to replace the passenger rear quarter and everything in front of the firewall.
Very cool. I went with the 2.97 1st and .50 6th. I have 3.89 gears. At 80 I will be at right around 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sounds sweet! Wish I could have sprung for the Aluminator. Am building with same transmission but will be running 3.50 rear gears. Figure Coyote will be loafing at 80mph on road trips.
Loafing at 80 sounds awesome, I’m really looking forward to being able to run at higher speeds

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
510 Posts
Your cowl looks great/quite sound. 👍 That was one area on my 64.5 that amazed most Mustang folks. Mine looked like yours with just a tad bit of surface rust. It did have over 260k miles but garaged at all times however, so it lived a “sheltered“ life. 😄
Keep the progress pics coming!
KJ

1 - 20 of 56 Posts