Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Made some additional powertrain decisions this week. I had been going back and forth between 2 pedals and 3. It seems most new coyote builds have 2 pedals and the 10 speed auto. I have a V-10 M5 with SMG as my daily and as much as I absolutely love that car I wanted driving my mustang to feel different so I ended up going with a 6 speed Magnum XL with the 2.97 first and .63 final drive. Car will have a 3.73 rear end

I used the M5 for reference and these are the calculations I came to (assuming 245/45R17 tires)
2.66 (.80 final drive) would be 1734 RPM at 70
2.97 (.63 final drive) will be 2185 RPM at 70
M5 has a .83 final drive and 3.62 rear diff and hits 2500 RPM at 70 in 7th gear
2.66 (.80 final drive) would be 1982 RPM at 80
2.97 (.63 final drive) will be 2498 RPM at 80
M5 has a .83 final drive and 3.62 rear diff and hits 3000 RPM at 80 in 7th gear

So the 2.97/.63 transmission will cost me some fuel economy and 400-500 RPM at the top end but this build isn't about fuel economy. The M5 has taught me that when you have an engine that revs to 8000, 500 RPM at cruising speed is nothing to worry about (though I won't have comparable noise isolation in this car).

I will be trying to maximize space in the tunnel so I can accommodate the 10R80 or DCT down the line without cutting up the floor again. DCT is my dream but the $25K+ asking price for those is insane

Also ordered C&R Racing radiator with integral engine oil and power steering coolers

Also ended up ordering hydroboost pedal assembly, and master cylinder from Revology
Revology 67400 - Revology Manual Transmission Pedal Assembly for Coyote Engine Swap with Hydroboost

Car should go to dustless blasting tomorrow or early next week. Price is about the same and I hope the dustless blasting will be easier on the roof. As it is I already suspect I'm going to have to replace the passenger rear quarter and everything in front of the firewall.
Very cool. I went with the 2.97 1st and .50 6th. I have 3.89 gears. At 80 I will be at right around 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
746 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Why do you want a 6-speed with 2 overdrive gears? Realistically this is a classic car with poor aerodynamics, 2 overdrive gears is a waste. You will simply never be going fast enough to make any real use of the 2nd overdrive gear. Yes, the v8 version of the MT-82 isn't any better in that regard(hey, at least the v6 MT-82 I use is actually superior in that it only has one overdrive gear) but the high first gear would allow you to run a much higher rear end gear in the 3.0-3.5 range instead of forcing you into 3.73s. If you ask me though, if you are going to swap away from the MT-82 you are better off going with a TKO 5-speed or even a Toploader 4-speed...you would gain more tunnel room and lose a worthless gear and the associated weight.

P.S. A funny fact..the ITBs I used to convert my engine are from the M5(or was it the M3 v8? cant remember, they are essentially the same spec with minor differences as far as ITBs)
A waste? I like the idea of going on a road trip cruising at 75 @1800 rpm. Aren't MT82's made of glass?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts