Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Transmission ordered and went with Tremec 11010
First Gear Ratio: 2.66:1
Second Gear Ratio: 1.78:1
Third Gear Ratio: 1.30:1
Fourth Gear Ratio: 1.00:1
Fifth Gear Ratio: 0.80:1
Sixth Gear Ratio: 0.63:1

I don't want to order parts too early and find out I bought the wrong thing or would prefer something different down the road but I feel like I'm racing against inflation trying to get parts bought as prices keep rising.

I'd prefer to buy as the build progresses but the supply chain problems and inflation make that difficult to impossible. I'm bound to end up regretting some of these purchases and I'll find out I don't need some things long after the return windows have closed. 2022 sucks because I don't see any other way

Going to pull the trigger tomorrow on Old Air Products system for the AC. Weather permitting the car is scheduled to get dustless blasting on 5/23

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
655 Posts
Totally agree with your above approach. Today you are definitely juggling dollar amounts, availability/delivery times and ordering something you may not need etc..
You are bound to change directions once or twice on install/modification directions.
-My suggestion for your AC setup (and other components), buy everything for under the dash and all other “required” parts/assemblies - aka, those that won’t or can’t change the instal regardless of direction etc. But I would hold off on plumbing and bulkhead connections until you can look at your final firewall config, engine instal with final intake, headers, radiator, wiring harness/computer, air intake etc. Even though VA was “very” accommodating with my returns I still wasted $$ ordering everything as a kit upfront etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I've heard mixed reviews of Borla but these guys seem like another good option for stacks

Dyno run

This is pure sex

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
transmission arrived today
Wood Shipping box Asphalt Font Road surface

Product Toy Gas Machine Electrical wiring

Product Toy Circuit component Electronic component Gas

body scheduled to be blasted 6/10. As a great man (now dead) once said

Musical instrument Band plays Guitar accessory Idiophone Membranophone

Of all the musicians alive that have died since the mid 90s I think this is the one I'm most pissed about missing in his prime.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Very cool project! Haven’t been on this forum in awhile but researching 5.2 Aluminator stack inductions for my ‘96 Mustang project and Google brought me right back to VMF!

Eager to learn more about what you’re deciding for the 5.2. Still thinking Innov8?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Very cool project! Haven’t been on this forum in awhile but researching 5.2 Aluminator stack inductions for my ‘96 Mustang project and Google brought me right back to VMF!

Eager to learn more about what you’re deciding for the 5.2. Still thinking Innov8?
As near as I can tell the options are Borla, Inglese and InnoV8. I have heard rave reviews about InnoV8 machining and quality and some negative anecdotal information about service after the sale regarding Inglese. Inglese also doesn't have dyno performance information and I can't get a good feel for how many coyote stacks he has actually made. Honestly Borla was never a serious consideration

Roger at InnoV8 is responsive and has been a pleasure to deal with. I'm still probably a month away from placing an order but at present I plan to go with InnoV8. From a "trust but verify" standpoint InnoV8 is head and shoulders above the other options IMO. Right now I'm trying to figure out what the "all in" cost will be with InnoV8 including ECU, tune and wiring loom so Roger is getting back to me on price.

InnoV8 being a "one stop shop" that can sell me a complete package (and be responsible for the whole thing) is attractive to me as is the fact they have dyno results and photos/videos of actual engines they have built so they are the leader in the clubhouse at this point.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Interesting photo from InnoV8 showing height of their intakes versus Ford

Grey Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive tire

Note the relative height measurements written on the bar

InnoV8 says Stage 1 (2nd from left) is good for 600 HP on a 5.2XS and Stage 2 (center) is good for 635HP on a 5.2XS with Stage 3 good for over 700.

I'm trying to figure out how streetable stage 2 is because who doesn't want 35 extra HP? Roger said stage 2 would require some tuning but I don't know if that is a one-time thing to get it dialed in or if I'm going to have to constantly tinker with it to keep it running right. Stage 3 (far right) is not a consideration because it is only 2mm shorter than the intake I currently have

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Are you using the Motec M142 ECU with it? Are you just ordering the induction from Innov8, and have someone local assist with tuning, or doing it yourself?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Are you using the Motec M142 ECU with it? Are you just ordering the induction from Innov8, and have someone local assist with tuning, or doing it yourself?
I'm trying to figure that out right now and have emailed Roger asking for pricing for the Motec ECU (which he said he could pre-load with a tune) and a loom.

He says the stage 2 is going to require more tuning but I can't tell if that means some tweaking to get it dialed-in or if I'm going to constantly have to fiddle with it. One of the main reasons I wanted the coyote was the reliability so if I have to constantly fine tune the intake I'm probably going to go with Stage 1. In either event I'm going to find someone local to get it dialed in.

Reactions: amorrow02

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Thinking about hood pins. Want something small, low profile and understated. These in black maybe

Any other good options I should consider?

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Thinking about hood pins. Want something small, low profile and understated. These in black maybe

Any other good options I should consider?
I am also considering these type of hood pins. I will be following what option you choose. Are you planning on going with the polished aluminum or anodized version?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I am also considering these type of hood pins. I will be following what option you choose. Are you planning on going with the polished aluminum or anodized version?
anodized because car will be grey

Reactions: Boss5Oh

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
655 Posts
Greetings Boss and Lionel,
The QL-38s are a very nice latch. Quality feel and definitely secure when latched. I purchased the QL-38 black anodized yet sanded and had the shop paint them body color. Given my fiberglass hood I also beefed up the area surrounding the “hole”. Basically its a solid ~inch thick and blended out to spread the possible load.

Happy/safe4th!

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting Grille

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I am thinking of using the anodized version as well. My car will be a House of Kolors Burgundy, a nice dark red. Everything under the hood is silver or black for the most part. I think the anodized black will carry over the theme and be more subtle. Not looking for bling, just good functionality.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I am thinking of using the anodized version as well. My car will be a House of Kolors Burgundy, a nice dark red. Everything under the hood is silver or black for the most part. I think the anodized black will carry over the theme and be more subtle. Not looking for bling, just good functionality.
Thanks for the input.
Same. I am building the car for function rather than bling so I plan to minimize adornment. I'll be sure to post photos of the pins once they are installed and please remind me if I don't. I already have a set of the Ringbrothers anodized black cowl vents which I may or may not end up using. I am also trying to be as subtle as possible so those might be too flashy.

One thing I am looking for is a good functional side scoop to cool the rear brakes but I can't seem to find one that I like and from what I've read in prior threads I may give up on the idea all together

41 - 60 of 76 Posts