Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a new gas tank in my 1968 S Code and had a couple of questions. Do you use any sealant--if so what? They give you bolts to install it, but one of them is different and has a clip that goes with it--where does this bolt and clip go? The car was already apart when I got it. Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Yes, there is an adhesive/caulk stuff. Here is a link to the Stuff. There are two clips, IIRC, one underneath and one inside the trunk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I only received one clip in my package. Just trying to figure out what the clips do since the lag screws they give you pretty much hold the tank in place where it is not going any place. Ken.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Both clips are for the fuel sending unit electrical wire. One is under the tank (in the front near where the sending unit will go) and the other clips on the inner wheel well where the wire runs from the trunk up to the front of the car. I would guess the one you got goes underneath. IIRC, it slides onto the trunk floor 9with the tank out) and then after the tank goes in it will keep it in place.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
That stuff which DM is selling is nothing more than 3M's #8578 Strip-Calk. You can get it at almost any decent auto store.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Your right, but I couldnt think of what it was called and i knew they had it. I always search their site, for some reason its easier for me than some others....don't move my cheese

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Looks like I will be pulling the tank back out today to put the clip in and look for the sending unit wire since I believe the body shop stuffed all inside wiring in one spot. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts