Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about replacing my fastbacks wiring harness with something new. What experiences does anyone out there have with this? What kit is the best? Painless? I am not concerned with it being oringinal, just reliable. The PO of my car really botched the wiring on this one.
thanks
Brett Melancon
Knoxville, TN

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just purchased the painless wiring kit for my fastback. So far it looks pretty straight forward although it is still in the box. I will be able to let you know in about a month or so.

Hopefully someone else who has actually done this update will chime in.

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How hard was it to install?

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
It wasn't hard, but it took a long time because the car had to be COMPLETELY rewired. The arson fire pretty much wiped out the wiring. We also did custom routing so that took more time. If you use stock routing, it shouldn't be bad at all.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I got mine from hotrodwires
18 circuit.
I only have the engine compartment left to wire.
The "universal" kits are usually GM color coded and do not come with many instructions.

I am taking notes as I go along and am writing it all down to post.

Its not "hard" to do, IF you can read the mustang wiring diagrams and have a little common since. It could be a nightmare for some people.

I like the idea of the fuse box in the glove box. You would have to splice more wires to make them longer, but it is probably worth it. I put mine on the drivers side, and it will be harder to get to later. The fuse box I received is a lot larger than the original.

If interested, I can email you my text so far. I have not added pictures yet.

The "Best" harness depends on how much you want to spend.
So far I have no regrets, but I have not finished yet either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts