Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Blew my spider gears out of my 68 coupe. Currently has a 7.25 rear end with 24 spline axles. Thinking about dropping in a 8" but do not have the money now to due a complete change over to disc or 5 lug.
No parts for just the differential replacement or gears?
Can anybody help me out so I can get it on the road again?
Regards,
Lenny

·
Registered
34,299 Posts
I think your CHEAPEST bet, if you can't find somebody willing to part (no pun intended) with a '67-70 7-1/4 inch rear might be to find a '79-95 Mustang with an 8.8 and have the axles drilled for a 4 x 4-1/2" wheel bolt pattern (OE is 4 x 4-1/4"). The '79-93 version is a bit narrower than the '94-95.

Option #2 is to find an 8-inch and have THOSE axles re-drilled, or swap your fronts to 5-lug hubs/drums.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think your CHEAPEST bet, if you can't find nsomebody willing to part (no pun intended) with a '67-70 7-1/4 inch rear might be to find a '79-95 Mustang with an 8.8 and have the axles drilled for a 4 x 4-1/2" wheel bolt pattern (OE is 4 x 4-1/4"). The '79-93 version is a bit narrower than the '94-95.

Option #2 is to find an 8-inch and have THOSE axles re-drilled, or swap your fronts to 5-lug hubs/drums.
^^ This.

Where are you located? You might find someone local tripping over a useable setup in the basement looking to give it a good home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts