Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has a good photo with measurements of a 68 GT fender emblem please post. I am also in need of the same info for the rear quarter reflectors ( late / no indent).
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Can't help you with the fender emblem placement but I'm sure someone else can. I would think it would be a good idea to do the GT side stripes first though (which there are precise measurements for) because the emblems need to be lined up "just so" inside them.

The after 2/15/68 cougar style side markers were all over the place from viewing pics, and there are no factory drawings or specs (that I'm aware of) for their placement. One example of how bad it was is the passenger side marker on the Shelby Green Hornet (not shown below but google it if you need a good laugh) which must have been installed by a cross-eyed drunk. However, one MCA judge took measurements off an original that looked good and said "The top of the marker body is level with the top of the rear bumper. The rear rear point of the marker body is 1" from the seam between the rear quarter and end cap." I would mark that out on tape and make sure the marker will be horizontal level before drilling the two holes for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,640 Posts

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
here are the measurements taken from my car with nos rear quarters, they came with the holes drilled. From back edge of quarter to center of rear hole measures 2 5/16. Down from the top of the quarter(again to the rear hole) measures 11 3/4. My car is sitting level front to back & the holes are also leveled. The GT badges measures 10" from the door side edge of fender & 11 3/4 down from the body line above, (not the top edge) of fender. Sorry, the GT pictures should be rotated 1/4 turn clockwise Hope this helps, Ed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Wow the pics came out all screwy! The first one is measuring down to the rear hole ( rotate 1/4 cw) 2nd is measuring form the back edge of 1/4 to center of rear hole ( rotate 1/4 cw) 3rd picture is the only one correct 4th pic measuring down from body line ( rotate 1/4 cw) Hope this clears it up, the pics were okay when I loaded them??
Ed

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I can work with that. Getting close to painting and I want to get the emblems fitted ( holes drilled) first.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't help you with the fender emblem placement but I'm sure someone else can. I would think it would be a good idea to do the GT side stripes first though (which there are precise measurements for) because the emblems need to be lined up "just so" inside them.
This one is a 68 with the “C” stripe that is not near the GT emblem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts