Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1968 Instrument Bezel Indicators - What Are They!?!?

5K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Flade 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone - my 68 had a 67 instrument bezel in it and I'm going back to a 68 bezel. I didn't realize, though, until I received the new bezel that I don't know what lenses fill in the gaps on the top left and right - I'm assuming the left is the wiper control like the 67? But I don't know what goes on the right side, and the 67 bezel that came with the car doesn't have the same parts to transfer over (I think). I can't find a picture on the internet to show me what it should look like. Can anyone help?

See less See more
#6 ·
if you dismantle the back of the bezel, you’ll see a small black piece of gasket-like material that fits over the rear of that lens. On one side are the words “BRAKES and SEAT BELTS”, the other side is blank. If the car was equipped with the convenience option, the words face out, and without that option the blank side faces out. I still haven’t figured out how the words get illuminated— the piece of lens-backing material is opaque...

#13 ·
It's not really a "sensor," but a spring loaded pin. If the pressure between the two circuits is unequal (such as if one circuit fails) the different pressures will move a piston in the block which allows the pin to drop and connects the two wires electrically. Attached is a diagram for a F-100, but the wire colors and numbers are the same.

Text Diagram Line art

#15 ·
A matter of semantics I suppose. It is the devise that senses a brake problem, hence the use of the term somewhat generically. It is also efficient; one word used ;)
I'd have called it a switch, but either way…

It does not connect two wires. The power goes to the dash light, then to the pin in the nylon-bodied switch/sensor. If the brake system becomes unbalanced, the pin inside the differential valve slides to one side, allowing the center pin to touch one of the thicker ends, grounding the circuit and illuminating the dash light.

The 67 switch had only one wire. 68-up had two, so the "start" circuit would illuminate the light as a test.

#16 ·
Switch also works. But I don’t think you are correct regarding the two wire 68 design. For 67 the ground path went through the pin, touching the brass spool valve, making contact with the brass distribution block, then through the steel bracket and mounting bolt, then to the apron. A somewhat precarious and unreliable design. I thought that the second wire on the 68 was for a dedicated ground. I need to find a wiring diagram, all of mine are for 67. Also, 67 had a proof circuit as well. The ground was through the spade terminal on the ignition switch contact that closed when cranking. The proof circuit was not introduced for 68.

#17 · (Edited)
Because I didn't like the under dash location for my '68 parking brake (on/off) warning light (couldn't see it there in daylight), I repurposed that brake warning light location y'all are discussing for the parking brake light. I can't miss it there and won't inadvertently drive off with the parking brake still engaged. I did that once, a rather bad odor as a clue and some amount of grief after. No more.
I mention this because someone else may see the same advantage.

#18 ·
I have a 68. Here are some take apart photos when in was swapping in a new odometer this winter. Seatbelts on my green lens nothing no bulb behind it. Other says ‘Brake.‘ Never tested it. But there is a light. Pulling e-brake does not activate the light. Unsure if it should. But on my reverse view it’s top left bulb.

The other one top left on front in your view is where your wiper switch arm and the little shiny knob piece that says ‘wiper’ comes through. Held in by a small hex key.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
I misspoke earlier. All the 68s have the Brake warning light.

The Belts light appears to have been never used. They instead either mounted up it under the dash like in 67, or it was included as part of the convenience group mounted in the console or panel above the radio.

i have never seen a car with the warning light installed in the dash even though the space is there. On my car I took advantage of the lens and installed a original Ford warning light there instead of using the under dash light. The wiring had the correct socket for the instrument cluster so maybe some cars did come with them. I’ll hav to look through my books and see if there is any reference to it.

#20 ·
Those two pins on top of a '68 brake light switch are connected together. I have a '67, but only the '68 switch is available as a replacement. So you have to rig up an adapter or cut the lead from a '68 harness. Anyone got a scrap '68 harness they can cut the brake warning switch lead from for me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.