Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea on the rarity and value of a 1968 Mustang J Code 4V 302 engine. The engine was pulled in 1969 after the owner spun a cam bearing. I pulled the engine completely apart and inspected it. The parts look great except for the bad cam bearing. I have the intake manifold, heads, block, crank, and rods. I was thinking of rebuilding the engine to put in a 1964 Fairlane. Then I thought it may be better to sell the engine and put the money into a more common 302. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Len

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They put alot of the J codes in the various other models besides Mustangs, they were in Cougars, Fairlanes,Cyclones, Montegos etc., so rarity wise they aren't that special, actually besides the C8Z intake and the heads marked 4V with smaller chambers, there isn't much special about them.The intakes usually go for about $100 or so, heads, depending on condition of exhaust valves, go for $50-$200 a pair -from what I have seen at swap meets.The block,rods and pistons are nothing special, except for having the early casting numbers.Might be just a good motor to build up for your Fairlane.I just picked up a 64 2 dr HT fairlane myself this winter, am thinking of doing the same thing-replacing the 260 with a later 302 and using a 4V 289 intake, had thought about using a 351W, but they say major mods are necessary to shock towers.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts