Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1968 J CODE COUPE HOW RARE

10K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Mickman99 
#1 ·
SO I GOT PART OF THE MARTI REPORT OBVIOUSLY WAITING ON THE REST. HOWEVER, I CANT FIND ANYWHERE THE NUMBERS OF ACTUAL MUSTANGS PRODUCED THAT YEAR COUPE CARS WITH J CODE. HOWEVER, MY CAR THAT IS CURRENTLY IN RESTO IS A MATCHING NUMBERS J CODE 4V 302 CAR. IT HAS CERTAIN DETAILS: BLACK VINYL TOP, 3.00 CONVENTIONAL REAR AXLE, 3 SPEED TRANSMISSION (I ASSUME VERY RARE WITH THIS SETUP), SEAFOAM GREEN EXT. IVORY GOLD INTERIOR. IT SAYS 2847 WITH THE ENGINE TRANSMISSION CODES. HOW RARE DOES THIS CAR SOUND? DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA WHAT THE CAR WILL BE WORTH UPON COMPLETION? IT WILL BE ATLEAST A "B+/A-" CAR WHEN COMPLETED BASED ON RESTORATION WORK BY THE GUY DOING IT. VERY GOOD STUFF HAS COME OUT OF HIS SHOP.

#2 · (Edited)
Not rare at all so value will be determined more than anything on condition. How much? Sorry to say almost certainly less than you're spending on it total. I know that's hard news. Unless it was a factory GT Equipment Group Option car and had A/C too, likely less than $20K. There were 21,683 J code coupes for the '68 model year. 2,847 of them were 3 speed manuals, about the same number as there were 4 speed manuals (2,851). The large majority were C-4 Automatics.

#5 ·
And don’t be paragraph stingy,.....makes the reading and replying much easier.

Rare doesn’t always equate desirable.

#4 ·
J Code in Seafoam is not very rare. Even if it was, just because it's rare, doesn't mean it's more valuable. In my honest opinion, Seafoam is the worst color Ford put on the Mustang. And this is coming from a fellow J-Code Seafoam owner. Here's my Marti Report.

#7 ·
To give you an idea:

Below is a link to my 1968 J-Code Coupe in Seafoam Green (Same as yours). I bought it about 4 years ago for $10,700 (no haggling). At that time it was a really nice driver with just a little rust. If you look at my restoration you can see how clean the car was at that time and is now. Not sure what I could sell it for now but I would think high teens maybe low twenties if someone had to have it (just my thoughts). Fortunately for me I was able to do everything myself so I only had to pay for the materials. I have about $18K into it plus 750 hours of labor and love. I would do it again because I enjoy working on them but not if I was looking to make money at it or had to hire it out due to the cost of labor.

PS - I almost changed the color but I'm glad I didn't even though most people do.

Build Thread: Lenny B's 1968 J-Code Coupe Restoration Project

#9 ·
@lennyB....Gorgeous!

As I've gotten older, I've grown to love the oddball colors I hated in my youth like "Seafoam" and "SpringTime Yellow". I'm also over the all-black interior. It's like every Camaro at a car show; they're identically stamped out by the dozen. What really catches my eye now are those sixties aquamarines, blues, and greens. I know it's just nostalgia, but those cars really stand out in a parking lot among the Toyotas and mini-vans.

#10 ·
I’ve got a C4 version, that was well optioned. I bought it for 300 bucks-no title. It’s a parts car....lawn ornament....whatever you want to call it. I bought it for the headlight buckets. The vinyl roof is rusted beyond repair. It had deluxe interior, upper n lower consoles, all in unusable condition. I even traded for a J code motor...got block, crank and heads for it. But it won’t get restored by me...too far down the list of cars to build....

#11 ·
I too like this color and I even like baby s*** green everyone complains about. No my home doesn't have the avocado green refrigerator, but I would consider it. Nicely done on the restoration! That's a project to be proud of! With regards to the all caps, perhaps it's a sight thing and not a yelling thing?

#12 ·
A 3 speed might be rare, but it is not desirable at all. Ergo, that is why it is rare.

It is a negative not a positive to value.

Sorry.

Some people like vinyl tops, many hate them. Without care, water gets under and rusts the roof. It was also the "Dealer Special" when the car arrived with a damaged roof from shipping. Slap on a vinyl top.

302 4V is good, but by then, with the 390, if you wanted power, that is what you got.

Still a nice car, but nothing BOOMING or even a car that will gather a crowd at a car show. Be careful not to pour $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ into a $$$ car.

#13 ·
I've actually got two J-code '68s, one a GT, been repainted in blue, non-matching motor, a San Jose car, the other a Sunlit Gold 4-barrel 302 with the original motor. Just put wheels and tires on it. Like others, I never really cared for the oddball 60's colors but as I get older they grow on me ! I actually really like the Sunlit Gold, it photographs well in the southwestern sunset:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.