Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband are starting the task of restoring my 1968 Mustang. This was first car and it’s been parked for way too long. I’ve known for a long time it was “different” than most of the mustangs I have seen.

Now to my question: is it possible to have a GT package on a 289? Everything I have read so it’s not a possibility, but it has several features unique tot a GT like fog lights and the easy pop gas cap. This model also has a unique console between the two bucket seats that I don’t see very often and is equipped with the factory air.

I would appreciate any information.
MDS68PONY

·
Super Moderator
10,052 Posts
Others will chime in with more info, but I believe there were factory and dealership GT options?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

According to this site, the '68 GT had to have at least the 230HP engine (The GT option was offered again in 1968. It could be purchased if you ordered the 230, 325 or 390 hp engines).

The 289 (in '68) did not meet that criteria.

Allen
Thanks that what I kept reading. I’ve owned this car over 30 years and it confuses me with some of the features. I will continue to do more research and see if I can get some answers.
Melissa

·
Registered
1968 Coupe, 302/T5
67 Posts
Second on the Marti, it clears up everything, well worth it!

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
As said get a report, the data is from Ford's orig data base.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Factory air and the console are separate options from the GT package. Marti report will tell all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I ordered the deluxe today and expressed it so I should have some info in a few days.

Melissa
As said get a report, the data is from Ford's orig data base.

·
Super Moderator
10,052 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
General wisdom in these matters supports the idea that the grill mounted fog lights were available as an over the counter dealer accessory for '68's. The pop open gas cap was part of the exterior decor group and independent of the factory GT package.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the information. I am anxiously awaiting mt report from Marti Auto and hope to get some answers from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So apparently I wasn’t to far off in my research about the features, Sprint Option B is what I found on the report. Did a quick search to learn this is those G.T. features I couldn’t figure out. Thanks for suggesting this report, very interesting for sure.

Melissa

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I knew of the Sprint packages for 67/68, but never knew the Argent wheels were an option. I thought the 68/69 Mustang Styled Steels were chrome only. I actually have an original set of Argent GT's, trim rings, caps and all, from a Torino GT.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
OK, if you are not planning on entering Concours event, just going to local shows, cars & coffee and such, it's OK to personalize your Mustang. Plenty have an added fog light system, different wheels, AM/FM radio, engine dress-up and other items.
But be honest. Even if you add every GT item, please don't tell the public that the factory built it that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank I wasn’t planning on adding anything lik that....mine already them when I got the car 32 years ago. I was curious why it had these features,but thanks for the advice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts