Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used center console for my `68 and I am having some trouble getting it to take shape. The console itself is a bit beat up but in overall good condition. The trick is that it really does not want to fit right:

Specifically, you can see in areas around the radio bezel:

and around the "connection" to the lower part of the console:

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender Tints and shades Rim

I am curious if you have any thoughts on how I can correct this? There does not appear to be any connection between the console pad at the metal backing-plate, but maybe there is supposed to be? My other ideas was to try to flatten it by putting it on a flat surface with some clamps.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
The separation at top is standard they all look like that although mine tightens up better than yours. I suspect they shrank a bit over the years. The pad should have clips similar to the ones used on door panels that holds it to the chrome radio bezel faceplate. They tend to flare out on the sides too. I have tried to heat it and reform it, but no luck. Hopefully someone will repro them one day. Your radio looks like to sticks out too far as well, that may impact the fit.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I recentley purchased a new " old ACP " reproduction console from a forum member & even though all I have did so far is put the console shifter in & trial fit it ( I still have to cut the floor part of it to get a fit to my vert floor ) the fit to the dash looks like its a lot better than your picture. It almost fits the dash even uncut on the bottom to fit the floor right now. It also came with a oem bracket that connects it to the dash at the front under the orignal radio mounting spot . I guess to help pull it tight & hold it in place .

You also need a console shifter if you have a auto trans car , I can't say for a manual shift.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm having a hard time getting my shift indicator lights to line up to correspond to the gear I'm in. I have the automatic shifter for a console car. Any advice on that?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'm having a hard time getting my shift indicator lights to line up to correspond to the gear I'm in. I have the automatic shifter for a console car. Any advice on that?
I haven't looked at those parts enough to say for sure . Mine has a small cable that moves the shift indicator & I'm not sure if there is any kind of adjustment in that part but after i get home from putting a radiator in my brother in laws truck i can look & reply back.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I went back & looked at the picture you posted & it looked like that console is away from the dash by about the amount of the two legs (for the lack of a better description) on the front of the edge that sits on the floor on each side.
Mine is not flat along the bottom but has a protrusion on each side at the front.
I have read that the coupe consoles have to be cut to fit the vert floor line. Have you tried to pick the front up by hand to see if it fits the dash better? Maybe you have a vert console thus it's not quite tall enough in the front maybe. IF so that could be some if not all of the shift light issue. I think I seen in the paperwork with mine that the back of the radio has to be strapped up or the weight of it moveing will break the front of the console in time.

If you pick it up & it fits maybe you can purchase that front bracket to help hold it up in place even if you have to do something to the bottom edge.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I went back & looked at the picture you posted & it looked like that console is away from the dash by about the amount of the two legs (for the lack of a better description) on the front of the edge that sits on the floor on each side.
Mine is not flat along the bottom but has a protrusion on each side at the front.
I have read that the coupe consoles have to be cut to fit the vert floor line. Have you tried to pick the front up by hand to see if it fits the dash better? Maybe you have a vert console thus it's not quite tall enough in the front maybe. IF so that could be some if not all of the shift light issue. I think I seen in the paperwork with mine that the back of the radio has to be strapped up or the weight of it moveing will break the front of the console in time.

If you pick it up & it fits maybe you can purchase that front bracket to help hold it up in place even if you have to do something to the bottom edge.
I thought of something else you might want to check. The console should have 2 nipples or fingers on the bottom around the shifter area that fit into the 2 holes on the metal frame around the console shifter . I suspect they have something to do with getting the console into the correct position & keeping it there .

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
While working on my vert today I kinda looked at the auto console in the back seat. In my hardware bag is a piece about 4 " long or so with about a 1" 90 leg on each end ,looks like a square u. I seem to remember that piece is what moves the shift indicator with the shifter. Sorry I did"nt really search it out but I was on another mission in the heat today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts