Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

I have a 68 Mustang Coupe 289. My EdelBrock carb is about 11 years old and I have had some problems getting it set and with my car stalling at lights when coming to a stop. I'm not sure if its the seals, floats, or what and I'm an amateur at best. I'm thinking it may just be worth buying a new Carb then trying to pay to have the old one rebuilt. I'm going to start using my Mustang as a daily driver, any recommendations?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Is this a sudden problem? Sounds like the floats may be too low, idle too low, timing too retarded, or idle mixture screws in too far...all of which create a lean condition at low vacuum. Also at low rpm a dirty fuel filter or a weak fuel pump can starve the engine.
I had a 1406 that I tuned with a rod, jet, spring and float kit on my 289 for 20+ years and it ran very well but I had a stumble coming out of a turn I could never tune out and it seemed like I always needed to fool with the choke, the idle was a little rich to keep my engine happy. It would run great at part throttle cruise and when I poured the coals on it was a surprise for the late model cars. But I wanted something smooth, maintenance-free and to get rid of the shudder and stumble. I got an original Autolite 4100. And BAM. By the way, I love the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It’s bren happening for a while. I think it needs a new carb and a new filter would be a good idea. Where can I get an auto light from? I need something simple and easy maintenance I don’t need to keep adjusting

·
Registered
804 Posts
I bet it is just dirty. Also, have you recently run a tank of gas through it. If not, the gas being old could be part of the issue.

The worst part of rebuilding a carb that has set up can be removing the jets and float pins if they have become stuck from varnish. The Edelbrock carbs are fairly simple. I'd say watch a couple of videos about cleaning them, get yourself a rebuild kit and give it a shot. Of course you'll need to let the carb soak to help dissolve any varnish. What's the worst that can happen, you buy a new carb?

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
The Autolite carbs are available on ebay, sometimes Craigslist especially "parting out " cars, good kits are available at local parts stores and they are super easy to rebuild. The 289 does very well with the 480 cm variety 1.08 " diameter venturi carb, but a 1.12" is fine especially for a very modified 289, 302 or 351. There are some specialty places out there and on VMF that have all kinds of parts to customize them and even some Holley parts work on them. Very good carbs...

·
Registered
275 Posts
when is the last time you had new spark plugs, or points, rotor, dist. cap?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its been a while, i have had just about everything else gone through and rebuilt/replaced except the carb, plugs, and distributor. It needs to have that entire system replaced, they are old and about the only thing i have not replaced since i purchased the car a few years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts