Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my 68 Mustang from drum to disc breaks and found a front break setup from a 70 Mustang and a set up from a Grenada. Which one would be the better choice?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Although I'm no expert, and I'm sure someone will correct me, if I'm wrong..... With the '70 mustang set-up, you should be able to fit 14" mustang wheels, whereas the Grenada brakes will not allow this. I believe both sets will require you to change your tie-rod ends. The '70s should mount up the same as the factory '68 disc brake spindals, only having Larger spindals,and bearings..... Hope this helps, in your decision.....and God forgive me, if I've misstated anything...LOL

·
Registered
921 Posts
A buddy of mine will be selling his set of 68 disk brakes soon. Comes with new/rebuilt control arms, spindles, calipers, rotors- everything you need. Send me a PM for more info.

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
I'm for the Mustang version. They use bigger rotors Granada's also came with 14" wheels but I believe they were shaped different to fit.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
I want to change my 68 Mustang from drum to disc breaks and found a front break setup from a 70 Mustang and a set up from a Grenada. Which one would be the better choice?
The 70 Mustang stuff would be by far the better choice. Make sure you get the outer tie rod ends.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Although I'm no expert, and I'm sure someone will correct me, if I'm wrong..... With the '70 mustang set-up, you should be able to fit 14" mustang wheels, whereas the Grenada brakes will not allow this. I believe both sets will require you to change your tie-rod ends. The '70s should mount up the same as the factory '68 disc brake spindals, only having Larger spindals,and bearings..... Hope this helps, in your decision.....and God forgive me, if I've misstated anything...LOL
GOOD JOB BERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I am converting my 69 vert to disc. It was manual drum, but I found 70 stang spindles. I also read something about bumpsteer with the granada spindles due to geometry changes IIRC. I can definetely recommend Chockostang if/when you need parts/advice. I also changed the hard brake lines in the front due to the soft line end was different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the info. I'm going to go with the '70 for sure. I want the least amount of issues when it comes to the end product. I don't want to get it all together and find out the wheels don't fit. That would not be a good day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts