Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback Restomod
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1968 Mustang is an on-going project but lately, it has started looking more and more like something I would want to share. I will post some images of the process that goes back a few years and build on it from there to present day. Below is a photo of the Mustang when I first got it back in 2004. I messed around with it a few years before I really got serious. It had a blown engine and was pretty rough overall. The bones were good or so I thought. I started out wanting to go simple and keep it a satin black and do a basic build for fun. This soon escalated and turned into something much more.

Check it out...Here is the car when I first got it.

After the rusty areas were cut away, this is what I had left...

I will post more photos showing the progress later. Here is a preview of how it looks now.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
Welcome, I'll be following.

I like the old school rims, even being 4 lug,..... lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my goals with this build was to bring the handling up to modern standards. I added Wilwood disc brakes on all four wheels and boosted them with an electric boost system. The steering was replaced with a manual rack & pinion unit. The suspension was upgraded to a complete Chassis Works set-up with a Fab9 rear end.

This truckload of parts was installed on the Mustang to make it drive and handle like a modern car. The results were great with the exception of the steering. I wish I had gone with a power unit as it is very difficult to steer. I plan to install an electric power assist this winter. More on that later.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Car looks great, keep sharing build related pics. I also have gone with the suspension from TCP, in my case a entire front clip. How is it driving, not many here using TCP stuff, I would like to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yup your car turned out great. Very purty. Congrats.
‘You’re thinking of electric steering assist instead of swapping out the rack? Interested to hear your pro’s and cons.
‘From my own experience a power rack works great. I don’t have any experience with electric assist though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car looks great, keep sharing build related pics. I also have gone with the suspension from TCP, in my case a entire front clip. How is it driving, not many here using TCP stuff, I would like to hear your feedback.
The car drives so much better, I am happy I did it. I still have some fine tuning to do as it has a little bump steer when really pushed hard. I love how it puts the power down though, ti squats and goes straight and is very predictable unlike the stock set-up. I considered doing the front clip but figured since I didn't need the extra space for the engine, it was not necessary. I spent that $$ on the Fab9 rear end. I had some problems with the rear end but I think I have it sorted. The first gearset that came with it whined really loud and had to be replaced. Then the axle seals leaked because the retainer had been installed backwards. Seems good now, very happy.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Beautiful car! I am building mine sorta similarly, with the goal of driving it a lot. But I also want to go fast and maybe a track day or two. I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of your build.

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
208 Posts
She's a beauty!!! Can you tell me what you used as undercoating. It has a nice pattern and I need to do mine soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She's a beauty!!! Can you tell me what you used as undercoating. It has a nice pattern and I need to do mine soon.
Thanks, we spent a lot of time getting the underside clean and I used a spray on bedliner product for the coating.

Notice the pile of grime on the floor. That was scraped off of the underside.

I had some help for this part.

I ended up replacing the fuel tank

My daughter painted the rear end housing

At this point, I was still in the satin black phase. Notice, the wheels were different too. I decided to have a set custom made with an offset that really fit the car and the suspension I was installing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car looks great! What wheel and tire setup are you running? They look like ET Mags classic V?
These are custom Vintage 45s. The size is 17" x 8" in the front and 18" x 10" in the rear. I'd have to check the tire size to be sure but check this photo out, it is tight!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts